UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2012, 9:31 am   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Long tip phono plugs used by Hacker

Were they unique to the company in order to divert the 2nd channel to the output?
I see the RCA short-tip type everywhere. What I would like to know is: Were the long-tip sort a standard type in the UK?
More to the point can you get them new? I obtained two salvaged examples from a Forum member, but I'd like some better ones.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 11:02 am   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Long tip phono plugs used by Hacker

Yes, the long-tip plugs were standard, and yes, they can be found NOS.

I bought some from Partridge Electronics - 3-PC140

Have a look here: about a quarter of the way down the page: http://www.partridgeelectronics.co.uk/03Bconnectors.htm

It's not clear if they still have stock, so it might be worth calling them.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 21st Aug 2012, 12:51 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm surprised that some enterprising Chinese chap hasn't re-manufactured them. There must be a reasonable market for them with vintage audio collectors.

As Mark said, they were standard, probably until the mid-1970s, when the Japanese seemed to corner the domestic hifi market, and their shorter-pinned design took over. (Continental equipment was still using DIN plugs).

Nick.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 6:11 pm   #4
Neil Purling
Nonode

I'd like some exactly the same as oicture 135 or 136 on that link, but with the long tip.
Those depicted in picture 140 are what I obtained as salvage. How the hell do you keep the two halves of that outer part locked together?
I need any more I am going to get a standard phono plug and drill the tip to take a nail or thick copper wire and solder it in.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 3:13 pm   #5
brianc
Rest in Peace

The Pye 815 pre-war TV uses these long tip phonos for aerial input. They were also quite common on early US television receivers.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 3:25 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
I'dHow the hell do you keep the two halves of that outer part locked together?
The plastic halves have mating "pips" to keep them located correctly with respect to one another, and with respect to the actual connector. Then, the springy, silver split tube cover slides over them to keep everything in place.

In practice, the pips seem to wear or break (or not meet at all if the cable's a bit thick), leading to a rather sloppy ensemble.

They're a design classic and very useful, but compared with more modern offerings, they're pretty 'orrible to assemble and use.

Nick.
Old 28th Aug 2012, 12:56 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

I got a huge bagful of these back in the late '80s from Greenweld! Don't know what I did with most of 'em. Agree with Nick, awkward things to assemble and they'd fall apart very easily.
Closed Thread