UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2017, 5:01 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default CT52 Oscilloscope

Well, I've certainly acquired a wee gem of an oscilloscope. In mint condition for a 1952 item, and fully functional. Many thanks to Mark James who sent it up to me last week.
Removed the AC PSU first & slowly wound it up on a variac - all transformer sec. voltages spot on. Plugged it back in & again slowly turned up the variac - all DC voltages spot - on. Obviously the selenium stack rectifier would give cause for worry, but has run fine for two hours & EHT, and HT voltages all spot - on.
A bit of a clean & polish is all that is needed - then it can take its place alongside my other vintage scopes.
Does anyone know who made these scopes ? The workmanship is excellent. Oh yes, the gratitude is missing, does anyone have a spare one, please ?

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CT52 (a).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	150643   Click image for larger version

Name:	CT52 (b).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	150644   Click image for larger version

Name:	CT52 (c).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	150645   Click image for larger version

Name:	CT52 (d).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	150646  
Old 12th Oct 2017, 5:28 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: CT52 Oscilloscope

If I remember correctly they were made by Metropolitan Vickers at Trafford Park Manchester. Part of AEI. it was my first scope in around 1970, wish now I'd kept it, but sold it when I bought a Scopex!
Regards
Chris
Old 12th Oct 2017, 5:30 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Just found a link to an Ad.
http://www.thevalvepage.com/testeq/m...t84/advert.jpg
Chris
Old 12th Oct 2017, 5:35 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Well, I've certainly acquired a wee gem of an oscilloscope. In mint condition for a 1952 item, and fully functional. Many thanks to Mark James who sent it up to me last week.

Oh yes, the gratitude is missing, does anyone have a spare one, please ?

Regards, David

Spellchecker-itis?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2017, 6:45 pm   #5
gingpeakin
Hexode

That's a really well made instrument. I bet it smells nice as well!

Ging
Old 12th Oct 2017, 7:34 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

What a lovely old bit of kit- and great that it was in such good nick and ready to go, too. Love the old-style delay line and those selenium stacks- I'm guessing at an HT secondary bridge with that long line of discs and EHT secondary doubling by the two sticks below it? Could the AC mains supply be replaced by a vibrator etc. module for field use? Sorry about the questions, I can almost smell the maintenance area at Cosford that the Chief Tech next door took me around at about 8 years old!,

Colin
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:18 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Colin, Cosford's maintenance area brings back happy memories. '66/'67 - I spent a year working in the test equipment repair section. Never came across a CT52, though. Plenty of Hartley 13A's & some of their CT436's.
Guess I could spell better back there in my youth - Graticule ! Was back again as an instructor in 1970. When did you visit ?
Right enough, the manual shows an alternative vibrator power back, but I haven't got one - just the AC unit.
Metropolitan Vickers certainly made an excellent wee GP scope.

Regards, David
Old 12th Oct 2017, 10:27 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Would have been around 1973, the chief tech was Tony da Mesquita (I think spelling), even at that age I thought his daughter very pretty in that Latin way! I expect H + S would have had deep palpitations at the thought of a primary school kid being taken round a working environment like that but he'd taken me under his wing and fired my interest in the look and general atmosphere of that era of professional electronics. I still have the Weston multi-tap voltmeter he gave me. Dad was on a ground instruction tour and hated it, he far preferred a handful of throttles to a handful of chalk....,

Colin
Old 13th Oct 2017, 12:13 am   #9
Top Cap
Octode

Used on board ship, old wartime frigate with a 1943 radar outfit. The CT52 was equipped with a post office jack plug and the radar set had a number of jack sockets at strategic parts of its circuitry. The CT52 was used to check presence of trigger, modulator and magnetron drive pulses.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 3:26 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Well folks, a good clean with meths, and a rub down with "Mr Sheen" - now joined its fellow vintage scopes in my collection.
L to R :- AM Oscilloscope Type 11(in wooden casing), EMI WM1(with brass faceplate), Hartley CT436 (past workhorse of the RAF), CT52
Mark James was spot-on in seeing I had an empty space which he could help to fill.
Does anyone know what happened to Metropolitan Vickers after it was taken over by AEI ?

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CT52 (e).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	150693  
Old 13th Oct 2017, 3:52 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

The short answer is that it was sold to GEC, but from then on? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan-Vickers
Old 14th Oct 2017, 10:35 am   #12
Scottart
Pentode

Hi David,
I have a PDF copy of the CT52 Tech Manual plus operating booklet - if you're interested, PM me your e/ address
Cheers
Stephen
Old 15th Oct 2017, 10:28 am   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Many thanks to Stephen for the downloads.
From my recent acquaintance with the CT52, and past experiences with other vintage scopes, I think that its a great pity that Metropolitan Vickers didn't go on to make a series of scopes to be used by the military. The workmanship, the ease of access(the whole faceplate hinges down!), the robustness, & so on. A larger double beam version would've been a better bargain than Hartley's 13A, I reckon. And later versions would've given the CT436 & HP180A a run for their money in the 1960's. Wishful thinking. A CT152, CT252, etc. - just imagine. If anyone knows of another later MV scope, please let me know.

Regards, David
Closed Thread