UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:31 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Don't know how to use a radio anymore?

I was a bit taken aback this morning while watching the TV when they had a news article on about 50 years of Radio One and were out in the street with what looked like a simple analogue 80's style portable radio and asked a selection of teenagers if they knew how to use it. Not many did. I suppose if they listen to radio at all nowadays it's via streaming on the internet. Oh dear.
Alan.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:45 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Don't know how to use a radio anymore?

It's terrible...Same with forums, all internet based these days...

Back in the day we would all save up and wait to see our favourite pop stars instead of buying those instant sound record disc things with them on it...

Lawrence.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I saw the report as well. They were just children with no interest in radio, so why should they know how to use one? I also suspect the vox pops were highly selective to fit the reporter's story. BBC News loves vox pops but they are rarely enlightening.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 4:59 pm   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

I heard the clip on R4 first thing this morning too .... and immediately dismissed it/assumed that I had yet to fully wake-up and down a coffee!!
Old 29th Sep 2017, 5:01 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

""I also suspect the vox pops were highly selective to fit the reporter's story""

Just a little....

If kids can do computers, hacking, apps and a myriad of other online stuff that's totally alien to me then I don't think figuring out how to operate a radio would be too much of a problem if push came to shove.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 5:03 pm   #6
Station X

Link to item:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/enterta...ut-where-is-it

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 5:13 pm   #7

It's all "good" for one to pick your music (I was going to add plays/drams but...) then you only get what you think is good (or what twitfacetubegoog seem appropriate).

I have Radio 4 on most of the time and sometimes cringe at what I am given, still I persevere and find most of it well worth a listen. It expands my brain, focused channels will never do this.

Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:02 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

I actually wished I didn't know how to use a radio on one occasion last month.

Ronnie Barbour on BBC Essex asked people to phone in with an answer as he didn't know 'how they get the bubble into a spirit level'?

He was employed by the RAF at one point....What as, I am not sure.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:20 pm   #9
Station X

It's not unusual for radio presenters and magazine editors to ask questions to which they know the answer. It's to encourage audience participation.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:21 pm   #10
Mooly
Octode

I saw that report as well. If asked I would have said 247m
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:26 pm   #11
hannahs radios
Hexode

I will never understand this thing of streaming and listening on the internet surely using a computer is hard using a radio is easy . Also I done think you can call listening online radio its not radio is what we do its AM or CM not bits of data
Old 29th Sep 2017, 8:44 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

Sad to say that regards the Spirit Level episode the presenter was actually serious- he genuinely hadn't grasped it! It was amusing though, so i suppose that fulfils some of the remit of local radio..

As regards the thread subject it's a classic example of a non-story. A little sad perhaps but certainly not an issue that's restricted to the young. Another example- someone i worked with traded in a newish car that they were (otherwise) totally satisfied with because 'the front tyres kept going flat'.

I think a reasonably savvy 18yr old could be trained to fly a DC3 in a matter of months- and would then be totally out of their comfort zone if you put them in something modern- and would probably hate it!

I have just acquired a slide rule as part of my effort to not lose the past; if i haven't grasped it by xmas it will be passed to someone who knows how to drive it!
Old 29th Sep 2017, 10:45 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Octode

I guess it's what you're used to technology-wise.

if it was possible to send teens from 1967 a DAB I'm sure they would have trouble tuning it in without any instructions.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 10:52 pm   #14
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I saw that report as well. If asked I would have said 247m
Absolute- ly
Old 29th Sep 2017, 10:52 pm   #15
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Let's see them get to grips with a Racal RA17
Old 29th Sep 2017, 11:04 pm   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I guess it's what you're used to technology-wise.
Exactly. We listen on the radio because we always did (and we like it that way). Nowadays the programme material, which is what we're actually listening to, is available in many more ways and many people just don't use a stand alone radio any more. The interviewees were probably demonstrating their degrees of practicality as much as anything else.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 11:08 pm   #17
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

And they muttered about "old school" FM's days being numbered. FM is still the best transmission channel, if only they can stop themselves Optomoding it to blazes - even Flac glitches over my reasonable-rate broadband, and this data-reduced is scarcely to be borne with at all. O tempora, O mores...
Old 29th Sep 2017, 11:23 pm   #18
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I was a bit taken aback this morning while watching the TV when they had a news article on about 50 years of Radio One and were out in the street with what looked like a simple analogue 80's style portable radio and asked a selection of teenagers if they knew how to use it. Not many did. I suppose if they listen to radio at all nowadays it's via streaming on the internet. Oh dear.
Alan.
Good, don’t tell them or they’ll be buying up all the radios as well as record players

I’m sure many do but to be fair why should they, I’m sure there’s plenty obsolete tech I’ve no idea how to use...I bet they can’t set the timer on a video recorder either.

John
Old 30th Sep 2017, 12:01 am   #19
1100 man
Octode

What possible reason would a teenager have for listening to broadcast radio (or television, for that matter)? A quick search through the FM band produces a cacophony of racket, endless news, travel news, adverts, phone in's, Dave the gardener and BBC local radio all broadcast in appalling quality .There is certainly nothing there for younger people- or me either!!
Broadcast radio is as obsolete today as 405 TV was in the late 70's. The internet offers endless choice and I am very happy that it does- I stream radio and music constantly- after all, it's the content rather than the medium that is important.
I'm sure young people have much better ways of entertaining themselves than listening to the radio!
All the best
Nick
Old 30th Sep 2017, 12:48 am   #20
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
And they muttered about "old school" FM's days being numbered.
They are legally obliged to keep pushing this line under the terms of their charter, no matter how irritating it may be to many of us. Politicians of all parties haven't shown much interest in preserving the BBC's independence over the last 20 years, and BBC management have mostly rolled over when push came to shove.
Closed Thread