UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2017, 10:35 am   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Poundstretcher- Dry batteries

My local Poundstretcher (still) has inexpensive PP3,D,C,AA & AAA, branded either Panasonic or Philips. I would hope most or all branches have these supplies.
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 10:54 am   #2
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: Poundstretcher- Dry batteries

Are the Panasonic or Philips D cells Alkaline do you know?

I've just purchased a NOS Simpson 260 multimeter that uses a D cell and PP3 battery, however, I'm reluctant to use Duracell in it due to the leakage issues I and others have witnessed.

I've used the Philips (silver and red) and Panasonic (gold & black) Alkaline AA cells in numerous things in the past, and even left them for a long time unused without issues. I've never been able to source Panasonic Alkaline D cells on the high street, only online at inflated prices.
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 2:31 pm   #3
factory
Octode

Have you tried Morrisons? Both the stores nearest me stock alkaline Panasonic batteries, that's where I got some D cells from for my radios.

David
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 7:04 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yep Damo the D cells are Panasonic Alkaline, blister back containing two (£2 i think)

The store i visited also had zinc chloride D cells, (red and white)- Panasonic.
Old 4th Sep 2017, 12:07 am   #5
Damo666
Hexode

Thank you guys.

I'll nip down & stock up tomorrow, as I have a large warehouse type Poundstretchers quite local to me that's bound to have them.
Old 4th Sep 2017, 2:45 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
Have you tried Morrisons? Both the stores nearest me stock alkaline Panasonic batteries, that's where I got some D cells from for my radios.
I've always found Asda own brand almost as good as Duracell, but a lot cheaper and leak free.
Old 6th Sep 2017, 10:05 pm   #7
ndg-2000
Triode

Yes and also Lidl do good batteries, 2 PP9 for £1.99, and AA also AAA 8 for £1.99.
I use them in my butt phone and tone and amp in work, and the batteries last well.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 11:46 am   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Hi ndg. How long do they last? The issue batteries last about a week in my Tele 300A, Duracell 2 weeks!

B&M/Home bargains also have the Philips and Panasonic batteries in both dry and Alkaline. Good prices.

Ikea used to be good, as there's were made by Varta. Now usual Chinese rubbish( for same price of course)
Old 7th Sep 2017, 1:08 pm   #9
paulsherwin

My Lidl had Panasonics yesterday, but I didn't look at the price.

Another option is (oddly enough) Primark, whose own brand alkaline AAs and AAAs are cheap, last well and don't seem to leak.

I don't think you can generalise about Chinese made batteries. Some are extremely good, some are rubbish and most are somewhere in between.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 2:12 pm   #10
ndg-2000
Triode

Hi tim

They usually last me about 2-3 weeks in my tone and amp and about a month in my butt phone. Im only doing MI/Si work so your milage may vary but to be honest for the price you cant go wrong (P.S. I'm a contractor so have to buy them)
Old 1st Dec 2017, 4:00 pm   #11
valveaudio
Hexode

Just bought PP9's from Wilko. They are Eveready Silver and only cost £4, they also have Duracell Plus AA's for £3.75 for eight.
Seems like good prices.
Trevor
Old 1st Dec 2017, 5:49 pm   #12
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Ive just found a Kodak brand AA alkaline cell which has a use by date of 12/2020 but is leaking right now. Discovered it entirely by good fortune before it did damage. I think Kodak is a brand sold by Poundland?

B
Old 1st Dec 2017, 6:00 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Yes, Kodak are primarily sold through Poundland. They don't have a reputation for leakage and none of mine have ever leaked. Maybe you've just been unlucky - I hope they haven't switched suppliers.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 6:30 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm currently using a batch of JCB-branded AAs from "The Range".

https://www.therange.co.uk/appliance...-aa-batteries/

24 of them for £4.49

They seem OK, none have leaked so far.
Closed Thread