UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2012, 11:22 pm   #1
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ideas for a Trimphone switch

Hello

Unable to find a blanking plate for the front of a dial 722 Trimphone, I have slotted in a Switch No. 13A-2 (“Single pole, non-locking, change over”). Although this serves the purpose from a cosmetic point of view, I wonder if it would be possible to connect the switch to do something useful such as temporarily silencing the microphone during a call. My extremely limited knowledge of electronics is such that I don't have a clue what is or is not feasible. I would be very grateful for any ideas and/or guidance.

I attach some images of the present set up.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	70611   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	70612   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	70613  
Old 14th Sep 2012, 12:20 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Ideas for a Trimphone switch

Try connecting the blue and slate grey wires from the switch, to the blue and white wires from the handset (T3 + T10 with standard wiring). This will give a muting function while the switch is held down.
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:01 am   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Best to use the switch as a change over with a 300 ohm resistor to keep the microphone circuit ok.

eg

300 ohms
+-----white---microphone----blue-------+--------\/\/\/\/\/\/\----------+
| | | +---------------------------------------------/\----------------------------+
switch

Hope that helps....
Old 14th Sep 2012, 1:30 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I doubt that's strictly necessary. The dial off-normal contacts just short-circuit the microphone.
Old 14th Sep 2012, 2:22 pm   #5
bobbyball
Octode

I have used a switch to silence the microphone in several Trimphones - due to the design of the handset, covering the holes at the bottom doesn't work! Just connected across the blue and white wires works fine...

Robert
Old 14th Sep 2012, 8:44 pm   #6
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for the comments. I have now connected the blue and grey wires from the switch to T3 & T10 and it works perfectly.
Many thanks
John
Closed Thread