UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2011, 3:43 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Unknown Defiant Radio (Red or White Plastic Case)

There have been a couple of threads trying to identify this particular Defiant radio.

This thread is intended to provide information about this model and to attract more information from those owners who have this model in the hope to finally nail the model number.

Firstly and as far as I have gathered, this model was availabale in both a Red and a White version but the red option appears more often. The two part case (front and rear) is plastic with a vinyl grip on a metal handle. The rear case has a silver coloured hardboard back, held in place with four sprung clips and the rear case is secured to the front case by 2 x 4BA, 5/8th domed countersunk screws

The front panel follows the same style as the Defiant A55 and, at first glance, the chassis is that of the A55 however, unlike the A55, the pcb has an additional 'piggyback' pcb, on which there are nine resistors (R5 - R13) and 4 black, Hunts capcitors (C8, 9, 11, 13) (see pic).

In the "Red" model I have, the transistors are not the OC range as fitted to my Defiant A55 (late Model) but are a mixture of GEC GET types and an unknown gold coloured, metal body types (with a seam about two-thirds from the top).

The gold coloured ones are designated: X1, X2, X3 and X4 but have a different coloured blob of paint on the top (X1 Brown, X2 White, X3 Grey, X4 Red)

The GET types are printed GEC and designated: X5 (GET113), X6 and X7 (both GET114), the X5 has a red sleeve and the X6 and 7 white sleeves.

The serial number plate is RE 15779, whereas my A55 plate starts with SRF and I wonder if that gives a clue to who made the different models for the Co-op?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant Radio #1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	58843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	58844  

Last edited by camtechman; 20th Nov 2011 at 3:48 pm. Reason: missing type numbers
Old 20th Nov 2011, 3:49 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Unknown Defiant Radio (Red or White Plastic Case)

Hi

Well the part number on the additional PCB screams Plessey
That's a typical Plessey part number. The first three digits would give you the location.

Enjoy
Mike T
Closed Thread