UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2009, 6:56 pm   #1
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Magic Eye!

Hi folks.

I'm busy re-hashing an old Ultra 6202 recorder and everything works fine except the 'magic eye' valve.

Rather than giving a nice clean double light, it is glowing dully along the full length. Replacing it with another EM87 simply reproduces the same effect. This would suggest to me that the problem lies further back in the chain, although I cannot rule out the possibility that I have two duff valves!

Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 7th Nov 2009, 7:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Magic Eye!

Magic eyes are just voltage indicators. You can test the deflection by putting some DC volts on the grid, say from a PP3.

I agree, it's unlikely that two valves have identical faults.

Paul
Old 7th Nov 2009, 8:42 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Most magic eyes have high value resistors in the target and anode supplies...typically 470K or even 1 meg. Either or both of these could be high or open circuit. Just change them and see if it makes any difference to the brightness.

Rich.
Old 7th Nov 2009, 11:36 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
If this is the model that I suspect it may be check R24 (100R - that's the value that is shown on my "equivalent" Ferguson diagram, but as others have said the value may differ) which connects to pins 7 and 9 of the EM87 "Magic Eye" I have had this resistor go high in value and cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.

Regards
Andrew
Old 8th Nov 2009, 12:04 am   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
Most magic eyes have high value resistors in the target and anode supplies...typically 470K or even 1 meg.
In the anode supply, yes - because it's the anode load, so that the anode voltage can respond to the grid voltage. But not in the target, which is connected straight up to HT+.
Old 8th Nov 2009, 9:33 am   #6
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Most has gone straight over my head but my tame engineer friend will now have a pointer in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Roger.

PS: I just love these little machines. This particular one is identical to my first ever recorder, bought with my first month's wages when I started work (with a little help from my dad....). Pity it's not in quite such good condition though.
Old 8th Nov 2009, 10:54 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
Most magic eyes have high value resistors in the target and anode supplies...typically 470K or even 1 meg.
In the anode supply, yes - because it's the anode load, so that the anode voltage can respond to the grid voltage. But not in the target, which is connected straight up to HT+.
Yes I stand corrected on this.

Rich.