UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2017, 5:09 pm   #1
transistor73
Triode

Default Sheerline SL130 record player restoration.

Hello everyone. I just owned a SHEERLINE SL130 record player, with a BSR turntable, (don't know the model, probably 2260).
It doesn't work at all, and I would like to repair it, but can't find any wiring diagram of this brand.
Amplifier does not sound, turntable does not spin and it seems block, It is completely gone.

First, I would like to test if motor, engine works, but I need help on it, please.

It works at 220 volts, but it has four wires as shown on pics.
Two white ones on the down side, and a blue and brown ones in the up side.
I wonder where to supply the 22O volts....

Any clue please.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	151192   Click image for larger version

Name:	turntable.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	151194  
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 7:24 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Sheerline record player restoration.

The brown and blue wires will be mains going into the motor. The white wires are a separate winding for supplying power to the amplifier, effectively using the motor (which already has a current-carrying winding around a laminated steel core) to do double duty as a transformer.

If you check with a multimeter, you should see a higher resistance between the brown and blue than between the two whites; and if you connect a multimeter set to read AC volts to the two white wires, then you should see somewhere between 20 and 30V AC when you apply power to the brown and blue wires.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 9:56 pm   #3
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Just a thought, it may be a good idea to first check that you have a power supply to your player.

I would assume that the incoming power supply (brown and blue) would be switched on via the integrated switch on the back of either the volume or tone pots. (pots meaning volume or tone controls.)

Trace where the incoming power lead is connected to, (on your player) set your test meter to the suitable AC voltage range (not less than the 250v range) and being very, very careful, place the +v (red lead) prod of your meter lead on the incoming brown wire, and the -v (black lead) prod of your meter lead on the blue wire.

If you have power at the incoming side of the switch, turn the switch on, and check you have power on the outgoing side of the switch. (this will most likely be the turntable motor feed which as a side issue, may well not running due to gummed up parts of the turntable with old hardened grease.)

I cannot stress enough, that the switch terminals will be very close to each other, so you must be very, very careful that you do not short these terminals out with your test prods, as this (if there is an incoming supply) may result in a large flash, bang, and blown fuses. (and damaged test prods)

I must also stress that If you have even the slightest doubt about your ability to carry out this procedure, please secure the services of a suitably qualified electronics person to carry out these checks for you, as this involves potentially life threatening risks of death by electrocution, and to the best of my knowledge, you just cannot be a bit dead.

Please forgive me if you are very conversant with electronic equipment and test procedures, but I would rather alert you to the potential risks, as I feel it is always best to be safe than sorry.

Cheers, Ted.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 12:24 am   #4
transistor73
Triode

Thanks very much Julie and Ted for your interest in my project and the information given.

Ted, I totally agree with your advice.

I ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS TEST WITHOUT TAKING HIGH SECURITY MEASURES.

I'm electronic enthusiastic, and must say that I don't usually make test with the 22O volts power supply connected to socket. I always try to avoid them, if possible.

I recently got this turntable which is completely not working.

Why I decided to test the motor first, is because apparently it is a bit damage, a screw were missed and shaft looks weak, the rest of the part wires circuit inside are a mess.

Could not find any wiring diagram of this turntable for testing different parts.

For that two reasons I went straight away to check the motor.

I'm Spanish, and decided to join this forum because it is a UK brand, and there would exist more information about it, at any case.

Make sure, That I'm going to be very carefully when testing this piece.

I'll do it tomorrow morning with day light to avoid any problems with home circuit breaker.

Before apply 220 volts, going to use a fuse just fixed to one pin of the motor, could it be in short circuit, and in that case we will avoid any electric risk

Thanks you for the prevention inform given.

Once I've done this test, I will avoid diferent ones with 220 volts connected to the power supply.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:30 am   #5
Station X

Why not use your meter on ohms range to test the switch, motor coils etc?

It doesn't always work because switch contacts become dirty and require a high voltage to break through the dirt. Worth a try though.

Have you checked that the motor shaft (not the turntable) is free to turn?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 12:22 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Very good protection for the unit under test (and to prevent blown fuses and LOUD bangs though not adding any particular personal safety benefit) is to use an ordinary old style 100W light bulb in series with the ac supply to the unit. In the event of a short in the unit under test, current is limited to less than 0.5A and the illumination of the bulb clearly indicates the fault. On a good unit, the bulb will light dimly, showing some current flowing- with some experience you can follow the power up behaviour of the unit by the variations in brightness.

The source of all this useful behavior is the strong positive resistance temperature coefficient of the bulb filament which means that currents up to maybe 50% of the bulb's rated current see a relatively low series resistance so the drop in applied mains volts to the unit is fairly small- often gear will work more or less normally with the bulb in series.

Have a look for "Lamp Limiter" in the forum- there are several descriptions of how to make up "proper" ones (as distinct from just the bulb and bits of wire bodged together).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 5:20 pm   #7
transistor73
Triode

Thanks everyone for your help, finally I checked everything with multimeter, following your advices and it seems to be in good conditions the electrical parts, I cleaned them up, so I discovered at the end a problem with plug adaptor, that,s why it did not connect...

Now the amplifier does sound a bit, (hum), but there is still being a problem with the unit.

Motor seems to be stuck. Its spin a bit and then, it stops.

I think I have to point the reparation at BSR turntable, mainly.

Mechanical parts are harder to manage for me. I really appreciate help in this area, I can,t even lift the Platter, it seems block...

does anyone have knowledge in this turntables please?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turntable.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	151245  
Old 24th Oct 2017, 9:35 am   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The platter (Turntable) on these, and many other decks, is held in place with a circlip around the base of the centre spindle. You may need to gently prise out the silver trim disc in the centre, then, with a small screwdriver or similar, ease out the circlip. The turntable should then lift off. If it doesn't, hardened grease may be the cause. Hot water poured down the centre will soften the grease, and allow the turntable to be lifted off. You may need to apply hot water to the cam gear (The large toothed wheel to the right of the centre spindle) also. There is a 'sticky' thread at the head of this section, which explains how to service autochangers, in which a lot of the mechanical problems are caused by dried, hardened grease.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 12:06 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

With great respect to "Livewire", pouring hot water into the workings of a steel deck doesn't somehow sound like a good idea! I suggest you pull out the centre spindle, and hold a soldering iron in the socket for a few minutes. Not for too long, though as it's a plastic turntable that could start to distort. This will melt the old grease and let you pull off the turntable. Do the same with the large cam gear under the deck if it refuses to come off. Whatever you do, don't force the cam wheel off, or you'll move it's mounting pin out of place, and never be able to get the cam back in the right position.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 2:47 pm   #10
transistor73
Triode

Hello both and Thanks for your post, you two, are completely right. The turntable cause of being stuck is the old grease.

Audio1950, great tip!!, that is what I have done, I have used a soldering iron in the center of spindle to melt the grease, and finally could lift the turntable up properly,

“It was such glue”.

I think is very common in this kind of turntables. It is plenty of this substance in the pieces you mentioned.

I am going to stay working with the turntable a few days and will let you Know how is going on.

It works better by this moment.

Motor spins without blocking;

But there are some failures that I need to fix in the unit.

-Turnable speed sometimes seems unstable and slow.

- There is a small pivot and two screws holding the motor which are missed.

- Motor shakes a bit.

- There is not x5m stylus on the cartridge.

In other hand, the amplifier seems to work.

Now, I,m cleaning the metal parts with degreaser agents, and I will lubricate them after with special oil.

I,m not in Madrid now, and going to travel there soon where I can get more replacements.

Going to visit a screw shop and try to find a compatible x5m stylus also (maybe fox 168 dst,zst)

or some model like that. If not, I have to order it to UK.

i,m glad to find this forum, there is not information about this brand in Spain.

Hope to load some pics soon and see a progress.

Thanks and Regards. Carlos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turntable1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	151326   Click image for larger version

Name:	clean.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	151327   Click image for larger version

Name:	022018168-2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	151328  
Old 24th Oct 2017, 6:32 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Actually, I only poured hot water into a BSR deck with seized up turntable and Cam gear because someone else on this forum suggested it - I don't recall who - it was back in the spring. I had heard of heating up the centre socket with a soldering iro, but haven't tried this myself. The deck concerned survived the hot water treatment OK, btw.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 7:40 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Hot water is fine for cleaning mechanical bits as long as everything is scrupulously dried afterwards. Tektronix recommended it for their big old 'scopes!

Getting rid of filth, muck and rubbish from electronics can work apparent miracles sometimes.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Oct 2017, 10:36 pm   #13
Records
Hexode

Try using a soldering iron and hold it on the centre spindle near the bottom, it will heat up and soften the grease
Old 15th Nov 2017, 12:13 pm   #14
transistor73
Triode

Thanks everyone, finally i found a cartridge in Madrid, now the turntable is working in that way... it sounds fine

I have reviewed the system and painting the case.

Now I have two more questions please to finish the restoration.

1) The record charger doesn,t work properly,,, the records drops over the tonearm, it is like a wrong adjustment... Any clue, please?

2) I,m going to put some extra lighting on case with some leds... Where do I have to take the power supply from?

From the brown and blue wires 220volts, just before the platter switch? It that right.. is,n it?

Once is finish a can download some pics "after" and "before" if you like...

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spindle.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	152283  
Old 15th Nov 2017, 12:45 pm   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Check the Cam Gear (The large gearwheel in the picture attached to post #14). This may be seized due to hardened grease. Use hot water to soften the grease (or a hot soldering iron) then remove the gear, clean & dry the shaft on which it turns. Check also that the two levers attached to the cam gear are free to move. If not, remove and clean those. Read also the 'sticky' threads about servicing autochangers. If the recodrs are dropping after the pickup arm has moved to the 'start playing' position, there is an issue with the sequence of operations.
Old 15th Nov 2017, 4:55 pm   #16
transistor73
Triode

Thanks Livewire... I have cleaned everything but it still not working...

I think every mechanical parts works properly except the central spindle.

Its recocognized all the positions for all records sizes, Its starts and stops properly, but the problem comes when changing the second record...

The records always drops late, falls over the torn- arm when it has been already got the start position...

don't find Bsr turntables issues about this item in the forum...
Old 15th Nov 2017, 5:25 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by transistor73 View Post
Now I have two more questions please to finish the restoration.
From the photo it looks as though the autochanger spindle might not be oriented/fitted correctly, first thing I would check is that the bearing hub it slots into is aligned properly, the notch on the top of the bearing hub should be pointing towards/in line with the bearing shaft of the large cam gear wheel like this:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...7&d=1457292723

If that's ok then make sure the pip on the autochanger spindle locates into that notch properly.

Spindle fitted:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...9&d=1457292916

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 15th Nov 2017 at 5:32 pm. Reason: additional link
Old 15th Nov 2017, 6:11 pm   #18
transistor73
Triode

Oh its great MS660, i just checked the first point, and that was the problem.

The notch of the spindle did not point to the bearing shaft of the cam gear wheel as shown on picture...
I corrected thi,s and its working properly now.

Thank you very much for your help Ms660, and everyone who read me and help me.

After electricity, painting, adjusting, lubricating works I think is working fine...

By the way, this brand SHEERLINE is same as TELLUX.

The last thing, I,m going to do is put some lighting led stuff for illuminating the turntable, due there is enough space inside...

I NEED TO CONNECT THE LED POWER TO THE 22OVOLTS, MOTOR BROWN AND BLUE WIRES, JUST AFTER THE TURNTABLE SWITCH... I'm quite sure, but not completely... Does anyone knows is like that?

Thank you anyway, and any case to everyone, once more....
Old 15th Nov 2017, 6:16 pm   #19
ms660
Dekatron

No problem, good luck with it all.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 12:42 pm   #20
transistor73
Triode

I finally put some lighting stuff connected to the motor wires for illuminating the cabinet, it worked out, but there was a strong hum from the amplifier, maybe due to reactance of the leds, so I had to remove the installation, I,m looking for others ways of lighting...

I, will post some pics when its finished.
Closed Thread