UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2017, 5:25 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Large centre hole single puzzle

This must have seemed very advanced in its day and would have later become a strong rival/option to LPs when the Extended Play 45 (7 minutes per side) came out in 1951/52.
Mind you, the much lower modulation of these would cause an output variation when playing a mixed stack of 45s and EPs.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 6:57 pm   #22
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Two comments about large centre hole 45s, (1) that US issue of 'Urban Spaceman' is actually on the Imperial (I-R) Label which, as stated, was a division of Liberty at that time (B) Libertin the US did use a similar blue label - I have a pre-Chipmunks David Seville 45 with the blue label, though whether American Librty 45s were still blue by 1968 I know not.
As to the record player, I never owned, and in fact, have never seen, one of those HMV players 'in the flesh', but have heard of them.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 7:36 pm   #23
Amraduk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I did wonder why 45RPM was chosen, though interestingly 33 + 45 = 78(!)
Ah! But it's 33 + 1/3 which would give 78 + 1/3.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 9:38 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

I've never thought about this before, so I've just checked my own record collection of singles, of which I must have into the thousands. Fortunately, I have them all indexed in a book in artist order, but with them cross referenced and stored in label order. I can therefore confirm that ALL my blue Liberty label singles have the large hole with fitted adapter, including my version of the single in question.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:11 pm   #25
Records
Hexode

Pus would mean push out centre.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:15 pm   #26
Station X

Wouldn't that be Poc?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:25 pm   #27
Records
Hexode

i was going by lar for large hole and pus being push out centre im probably wrong though
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:49 pm   #28
julie_m
Dekatron

The Seeburg LPC series of jukeboxes used an inverter based on two AD149s to run the motor at 68Hz when the clamp entered the record all the way (indicating that a 45 rpm record with the large centre hole was in play) but ran it from an autotransformer at all other times, including with the clamp engaged partway as when playing a 33 rpm record with the small centre hole. Thus the inverter only ever had to supply enough current to produce enough torque to accelerate the turntable from 33 rpm to 45 rpm, not from a standing start.

Needless to say, my Ead's one (he has an ELPC1; I have a 45-only ESL100, which is poorly at the moment) has been modified to play at 45 rpm with the clamp in the "small hole" position .....
Old 21st Oct 2017, 12:00 am   #29
AC/HL
Dekatron

Could it be as simple as they were made overseas and imported here, as it was an unexpected hit, and the local factories were fully committed. Do any say where they were made?
Old 21st Oct 2017, 2:08 am   #30
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Re post 8*, i can still buy centre hole adaptors here in Bexhill.

Dave W
Old 21st Oct 2017, 8:23 am   #31
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Bill, you may be right, I'd have to look out my Eddie Cochran 45 to see if it states on the label where it was pressed. I don't have any other UK issue blue label Liberty 45s.
Old 21st Oct 2017, 3:43 pm   #32
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Could it be as simple as they were made overseas and imported here, as it was an unexpected hit, and the local factories were fully committed. Do any say where they were made?
It was quite common for records to be pressed in other countries due to an unexpected demand or when plants were being overhauled.
Old 21st Oct 2017, 5:26 pm   #33
Focus Diode
Octode

Many UK Philips group singles between 1968-1973 did indeed have large centre holes. They were usually sold with a three prong middle. In the case of "Spaceman" this exists as the usual 3-prong push out centre and with large centre holes.
http://www.45cat.com/record/lbf15144
Old 21st Oct 2017, 7:10 pm   #34
Clydeuk
Hexode

As a matter of interest, is the 3 prong push out centre made differently to the normal spider type that was provided by record shops for ex jukebox singles?

The reason I ask is that I have found the ordinary spider to have a slightly larger centre hole than the normal spindle, and depending on the music I can detect a definite wow noticeable as the disc runs slightly off centre when using these. I normally use a proper adaptor to avoid this.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:46 am   #35
Focus Diode
Octode

Sorry for any confusion. The Philips group usually used three prong push out centres in place of the usual 4 prong type used by other UK labels. See the first picture as an example.

When the group introduced large centre hole singles they were usually sold with a detachable 3-prong centre. See the second picture as an example.

The "Spider" type of removable centre I think you're referring to often had too large holes making them play off centre! An example in the third picture.

EDIT- Philips group included singles from Polydor, Mercury, Fontana etc. Later to become known as Phonogram in the '70s.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RECORD LABELS etc 175.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	151221   Click image for larger version

Name:	RECORD LABELS etc 119.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	151222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toast and Marmalade label 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	151223  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 23rd Oct 2017 at 9:56 am.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 2:11 pm   #36
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've got a 3 prong removable like the one in the middle picture.

I can't remember which single it came with but I was buying a lot 2nd hand around 20 years ago & swapping spiders about when playing singles.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 6:55 pm   #37
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeuk View Post
I have found the ordinary spider to have a slightly larger centre hole than the normal spindle, and depending on the music I can detect a definite wow noticeable as the disc runs slightly off centre when using these.
I found exactly the same and it was extremely annoying! Some were worse than others while some were near perfect. I found all the three pronged type to be accurate, although they could be rather fragile.
Closed Thread