UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2017, 4:26 pm   #1
Renrenren
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig Como 6 centre spindle

Hi,
I have managed to get hold of a Grundig Como 6 which appears to be in working order but the centre spindle is missing, the bit that your record fits on (sorry if its called something else)
I'm new to this but does anyone know where I could find one and if they are easy to replace?

Thanks
Ren
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 5:07 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig Como 6 centre spindle

Yes, centre (stacking) spindle is what it's called. It will not work without one.
The Grundig labelled autochanger was actually made by Philips. They are certainly easy to replace, they just push in - but finding one may not be so easy. A Member here may have one, see the "Wanted" section above. Or you could Websearch one. I think your badged Philips autochanger is called a "Grundig 60" (look on the baseplate) but regret I don't, as yet, know the original Philips model number.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 6:06 pm   #3
Renrenren
Retired Dormant Member

Just to add I have sorted a makeshift one just to test it and it works.
Does anyone know what the record deck is so that I can get a new cartridge and stylus? I believe it's a Philips deck.

Thanks.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 8:23 am   #4
Renrenren
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Edward,
I will have a look and see what i can find.
Just on the cartridges, I think I need either a GP-204, GP-230 or a GP-306.
I have had a look under it and there is no model number. I will post a picture as I think it might need replaying as the previous owner has added some Sellotape to it!!

Will I just have to pull this to remove? I don't want to break it!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171022_214843.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	151219  
Old 24th Oct 2017, 9:37 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The stylus isn't correctly seated in the centre of the 'v' groove in the rubber block at the front. Gently repositioning that may be all that is needed.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 11:07 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I think what you may need is currently on an auction site with new stylus for £12.50. Make sure you use the correct stylus on LPs!
Old 24th Oct 2017, 12:42 pm   #7
Renrenren
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
The stylus isn't correctly seated in the centre of the 'v' groove in the rubber block at the front. Gently repositioning that may be all that is needed.
Cheers I will have a look at this later.
Do you know what the metal clip looking thing is for? is it just to hold the stylus in place? I think the sellotape was added by the previous owner as the metal clip wobbles a bit.

Thanks
Old 24th Oct 2017, 1:15 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you fit a new stylus, the press-on metal clip will secure it all. Do get the Sellotape off with IPA as this will attract debris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renrenren View Post
Just to add I have sorted a makeshift one just to test it and it works.
I think it will not be possible for you to make a correct centre spindle. I think what you have added is just a "stub" spindle to allow you to play single records one at a time. Edward
Old 24th Oct 2017, 5:21 pm   #9
Renrenren
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Edward,
Yeah its a stub one I have managed to make, to be honest its was just to test until I can find one that will fit. The original record deck came with both a stub and one for the auto changer. Im chasing up the last owner to see if they can find it as its looking increasingly difficult to find an exact match. There loads of Garrard ones out there which is rather frustrating!!

Just checked the cartridge and the clip is defo wobbly without the Sellotape on. I tightened up the tape as an experiment and the skirting as actually stopped!!
Going to order a new cartridge so I dont need to use the taped up version once i find a new spindle!! All is not lost haha
Closed Thread