UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2015, 7:26 pm   #1
villelaustela
Pentode

Default Panasonic TC-L1E "Minivision"

Hi all.

I aquired a small Panasonic "Minivision" portable LCD TV (from around 1988, see here for almost identical -D model). It' pretty scratched but I got it for a 5 EUR (and it looked kinda cute) so I grabbed it.

It seems to be working, I get a white screen with a green/red line (UHF/VHF) scanning across the screen. Markings on the front panel buttons have faded, the top two are scan left/right, next to are vol up/down, I don't know about the last one (doesn't seem to do anything either).

Having no analog transmissions in here, I can't really test it. I didn't get any cables with it. The aerial input seems to be just a mono 3,5" socket. There is also an Audio/Video input, looks like it's 2,5" connector. Any idea of it's pinout? Would be pretty cool to put some video in and see how good the picture actually is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151126_024.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	116102   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151126_025.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	116103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151126_027.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	116104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151126_028.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	116105  
Old 26th Nov 2015, 7:41 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic TC-L1E "Minivision"

The video is likely to be the first ring up from the tip but signal levels are such that you are unlikely to cause damage if wrongly connected.

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/201...diovideo-jack/

If you have an old video recorder you could send it RF.

Peter
Old 27th Nov 2015, 5:51 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The audio/video input probably will be mono audio only, so will need only a standard stereo plug. If you get the video and audio signals the wrong way around, video will just sound like bad static and power hum, and you are unlikely to do any lasting damage.

2.5 mm. stereo plugs do exist. They were used for connecting headsets to some mobile phones.
Old 9th Dec 2015, 6:49 pm   #4
villelaustela
Pentode

Thanks.

I finally got myself a 2,5mm connector for testing. For future reference: it uses a stereo 2,5mm plug, where the first ring from the tip is audio. Second ring is video. And yes, I know I used wrong colour connector for video on my quick-hack adapter, as I didn't have yellow ones

For the age and size I think it actually gives pretty good picture, eventhough the viewing angles are pretty bad and the color and brightness adjustments (which are the only adjustments for picture) are fiddly.

This unit was originally owned by the Finnish broadcasting company (YLE), I got this for 5 EUR from their sale. Must have been expensive when new. I think something as small as this could have been really useful for testing purposes.

Very hard to get photos, but here are some attempts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_006.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	116680   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_011.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	116681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_013.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	116682  
Old 9th Dec 2015, 10:46 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Certainly looks a better picture than any of Casio's efforts!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 10th Dec 2015, 1:55 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

That looks superb, and definitely worth a I bet the colours distort really badly if you aren't looking at it absolutely square-on, though ..... that was always a bugbear with early-generation colour LCDs. Modern ones have much wider viewing angles.

And you're right, it would have been a useful diagnostic tool for a broadcaster -- there is nothing quite as good for checking TV reception quickly and clearly as an actual TV receiver! You could literally just walk or drive around looking for problem areas. Definitely useful somewhere like Finland!