UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2010, 9:57 pm   #1
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR record-deck overhaul.

I was reading a thread about fixing a frozen vintage BSR turntable.

Problem; I cannot remove the circlip to remove the platter. I just got one the other day that looks exactly like the one in the post.

I have put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on it and heated it with a hairdryer but it won't budge. I have not waited a few days for the oil to soak in yet. Because of all the scratches, it looks to me like someone has tried to remove this clip.

When it is suggested that a small screwdriver be used to move the clip sideways, does that mean up the shaft or around it? This clip appears to have a groove running around it, does that mean that the metal ring I can see is in two parts? Is there a "C" shaped upper part and a circular lower part? In the post, the person was able to remove the clip but did not detail how it was done and did not provide a photograph of the removed clip. That thread is closed so I cannot ask this question there and have am sorry if I have not repeated enough of the details to make this question understandable.

I am attaching a photo of the clip and would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Fred
Garnett, KS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3712 half.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	31881  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 20th Jan 2010 at 1:01 am. Reason: To accord with title change.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:31 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: BSR Turntable Circllip Removal

It looks to me like there's no circlip there and the groove visible in the image is where it should be. That means the bit you've been trying to remove is in fact the receptacle which the spindle locates into.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:43 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Turntable Circlip Removal

Indeed. No clip there. Does the turntable rotate? if so, try lifting it up and off.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 2:20 am   #4
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the quick reply. No, the table will not lift off.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 2:31 am   #5
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, with that bit of information I got it off. It wouldn't lift up so I turned it and lifted firmly and it slowly came up and off. Now, on to the next step.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 9:36 pm   #6
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

I'm removing the dried grease. I cleaned the cam, the grease looks like old dried earwax. I have a can of "Performance Engineered Extreme Pressure Multi-Duty Complex Hi-Temp Grease" sitting here on my desk. Will that work for regreasing this thing or do I need something special. I'm going to the hardware store anyway to pick up a set of circlip pliers now that I know what a circlip is.

The cam post looks like it's made of a stack of tiny bearings. And its follower post looks like it is a tiny bearing too. Are these things little sealed bearings that need to be cleaned or replaced? If so, it looks like they will have to be disassembled from underneath.
Old 20th Jan 2010, 9:32 am   #7
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: BSR record-deck overhaul.

That type of circlip was a "C" clip not needing circlip pliers.

No need to dismantle the posts, just clean the outside and inside of the cam track.
Old 27th Jan 2010, 4:25 pm   #8
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Next question, this small plastic part supports the post that raises the tone arm. Are parts like this available?

Also, underneath the turntable, there are two RCA connectors marked left and right. Wires from them lead to the amplifier I suppose. Are they equivalent to an "audio out"? If I put a Y cable on them, could I connect them to a computer "audio in" jack?
Old 27th Jan 2010, 4:27 pm   #9
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry, forgot the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3730 Tone Arm Support Part.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	32065  
Old 28th Jan 2010, 3:59 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

you'd need a similar scrap deck for that part. NLA to buy. what exactly is the problem related to it?
you cannot conect the deck dirctly to a PC. you need preamp and EQ.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 8:48 pm   #11
fcampbel
Retired Dormant Member

Ok, that part was what transferred the motion of the lifting handle to the post under the tone arm. I will put off replacing it for a little while.

Now, everything seems to be working except for the balance of the tone arm. It skates across the record and I can't figure out what to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3731 Cropped.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	32277   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3733 Cropped.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	32278   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3735 Cropped 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	32279  
Old 4th Feb 2010, 10:37 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If I'm not mistaken there is a counterweight missing from the rear end of the pickup arm. This is needed to balance the arm. These days the only way you're likely to get this item(and the missing circlip and knob)is from a scrap deck of the same model. The 3 figure model no.(Cxxx)should be on a label stuck to the underside of the chassis.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 10:45 pm   #13
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

I may be wrong (and probably am!) but I had one of these decks when I was about 10 years old and don't recall a counter weight at the end of the tone arm. I thought that the weight was adjusted by the small silver knob on the right hand side of the pick up at the end where the arm joins the deck itself. I think you turn that.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 10:45 pm   #14
ben
Dekatron

These didn't have a counter weight. weight is adjusted by the knob in picture 1 and 2.
unless the spring has come off, or someone has been twiddling, you probably won't need to touch that. I'd start by changing the stylus, probably a type ST17
Old 14th Feb 2010, 10:13 pm   #15
mister valve
Hexode

There was no balance weight fitted to this particular auto-changer, instead, a balance spring was fitted between a lug on the Tone-arm mounting bracket and the adjuster plate with the knurled knob attached. As mentioned by another member, that knurled knob, adjusts the down pressure of the stylus on the record. Turning it anti-clockwise, increases the downpressure (weight); Turning it clockwise decreases the pressure, as it is further tensioning the balance spring. The usual weight for a 'Crystal' or 'Ceramic' Cartridge is about 3 - 6 Grams, but it should be set to within the Cartridge manufacturers specifications. If there is an 'Anti-skate' device fitted, this should be set to the tone-arm stylus pressure weight (or to a setting that stops the Tone-arm jumping grooves).

Note:- The grease used for the Turntable centre ballrace, 'Heart shaped' cam and other greased area's was 'Castrol LM grease'. It is advisable not to grease or oil any parts that have clearly not been lubricated before.

Finally:- I think the model no. was "C129", but it should tell you on a red label attached to the chassis plate underneeth.
Old 14th Feb 2010, 10:57 pm   #16
mister valve
Hexode

You asked about the 'Phono sockets' (RCA) underneeth.

These are, indeed, the 'Audio output' sockets so a standard screened lead with phono (RCA) plugs fitted should work. I note from the picture that a 'Turn-over' Stylus is fitted so it is probably a 'BSR' 'SC12M' or 'SC12H' Cartridge fitted. These are Ceramic and require a high input impedance of at least 500,000 Ohms or higher. So your computer will need a High impedance input with about 100mV sensitivity. The spec. will normally tell you this.
Try and keep the lead, between the Computer and the record deck, as short as coveniently possible, otherwise the treble response may suffer. You may also need a seperate earthing connection between the Auto-changer Chassis and the Computer Chassis, to prevent Hum.

The best thing to do is try it out.... If the input impedance is too low, the sound quality will be weak and tinny. If the sensitivity is wrong then the signal will be too loud (with possible distortion) or too soft.
Old 14th Feb 2010, 11:18 pm   #17
mister valve
Hexode

Sorry its me again !!!!

I have just noticed that you are from the USA. If you are going to use that deck, then check it has a 115Volt 60Hz Motor fitted. Our British ones were fitted with 230Volt 50Hz Motors.

If it was originally made for the USA market, then it should have the correct motor fitted.

All the best, John
Closed Thread