UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2009, 5:10 pm   #1
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help needed faulty - 1970's Fidelity record player

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help with a problem I am having with a 1970's Fidelity record player I bought.

First of all I have never had a record player before and have never done any repairs to audio equipment so please be basic with any suggestions.

The Players details;

It is a 1970's Fidelity record player, an all in one portable player, I don't know which model.

It is a mono player, has valves and a BSR 004A type record player fitted.

So the main problem is that when I play a record on a low volume the sound is all crackly and distorted but when I increase the volume the sound is ok so any idea's?

The secondary problem is the auto button does not do anything, not sure if I am doing some thing wrong or it is faulty.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Richard.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 18th Nov 2009 at 6:32 pm. Reason: FRC
Old 18th Nov 2009, 10:25 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Help needed faulty - 1970's Fidelity record player

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful to have the model number.

Valved equipment suffers bad capacitors, especially coupling capacitors, ideally all the coupling capacitors should be replaced, there cant be that many of them. A check to ensure resistors are within tollerence is also a good idea. Switch cleaner on the volume and tone controls wouldn't go amiss either.

The record player deck is almost certainly suffering from dried up grease and will have to be stripped, cleaned and relubricated. The later decks, (mid 60's onwards) are much easier to service in this respect.

With the model number to hand you may find the service data for that model on this site, go to the top of the screen and click on instant downloads.

Michael
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:02 am   #3
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Michael,

Any Ideas how I can find out the model ? it does not have anything on the box ..

Also a Update ...I was playing it last night and I think I can refine the problem ...it seems to play fine for one side of the record then when I turn it over it goes all crackly and distorted ..I thought it was the volume that was the problem ..but it looks like it a time thing ..so after a while it stops working ...

any idea's anybody ?

cheers

Richard
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:20 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Can you post a picture?
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:25 am   #5
Michael Maurice

Richard, do you know how to remove the covers and take pictures of the amplifier?

We need pictures of both the deck and the amplifier and also the valve line up.

Do you have any knowledge of repairing equipment?

Please be very careful when dismantling, Valves use high voltages and you could get a shock.

As to your problem, you could have a capacitor breaking down or a resistor going open circuit or just high in value.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:26 am   #6
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

ok so I did some more checking and it maybe a 60's player ..here is a link to a you tube video of a very similar player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xk__1eBzc
Old 19th Nov 2009, 12:10 pm   #7
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

I can remove the front cover ..I have done it before ...that's how I know it has valves ..

Nope I have not repaired any equipment before ..but I am a computer Tech and don't mind doing a bit of work just as long as I am not going to make things worse ...

when I looked there was a speaker then the valves then a small circuit board ..but seems very crude and simple ..

I can try get some pictures
Old 19th Nov 2009, 1:55 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The one in the YouTube link could be 60s or 70s. Fidelity made several very similar models with valves, then transistors, and even an IC (chip).
Old 19th Nov 2009, 2:45 pm   #9
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

I will open it up tonight and take photos ..what do you need photos of ?
Old 19th Nov 2009, 2:58 pm   #10
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

Right. Well I found for the same record player ...mine is red ..but it is the same model ...anybody know what model it is ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	player one.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	30331   Click image for larger version

Name:	player2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	30332   Click image for larger version

Name:	player3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	30333   Click image for larger version

Name:	player5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	30334  

Last edited by Station X; 19th Nov 2009 at 3:29 pm. Reason: TCWR
Old 19th Nov 2009, 3:42 pm   #11
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholst View Post
Also a Update ...I was playing it last night and I think I can refine the problem ...it seems to play fine for one side of the record then when I turn it over it goes all crackly and distorted ..I thought it was the volume that was the problem ..but it looks like it a time thing ..so after a while it stops working ...
Just a thought, but what happens if you play the 'good' side, turn over and play the 'bad' side......then go back and play the 'good' side again? I'm wondering if you simply have a record which is knackered and/or dirty on one side.

Crucial to this suggestion; have you tried it with only the one record or several? You're not clear on that point. If the machine goes faulty with any record then the fault will be internal, if the fault appears when you've tried it with only one record then it could just be a duff record.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 3:54 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

If you can tell us what valve types are fitted, you should be able to get a circuit diagram.

Paul Stenning has sheets for various models from the HF16 to the HF28 etc.

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 5:06 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Ooooh! That's a rare changer! It's a BSR alright, but it's the sort that uses a rising sensor for the record size. This enabled them to have a shorter spindle than with the previous drop sensor. It was never very successful, though, and was soon replaced by the 12-10-7 switch.

Anyway. If there are two valves and just a simple tone control (aot separate treble and bass controls), then they'll almost certainly be UY85 and UL84; with HT from the mains, and the heaters powered from a tap on the motor stator. There will probably be only five capacitors (of which three will be electrolytics) and three resistors; you may as well replace the lot.

Note that the capacitor connected between the exposed metalwork of the record deck and mains neutral must be a special "class Y" type.

While you've got the machine in bits, take the opportunity to give the pots and the valve sockets a good squirt of contact cleaner.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 5:18 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Ooooh! That's a rare changer! It's a BSR alright, but it's the sort that uses a rising sensor for the record size. This enabled them to have a shorter spindle than with the previous drop sensor. It was never very successful, though, and was soon replaced by the 12-10-7
Well spotted!

I missed the absence of the 12/10/7 switch and Magidisk selector ("flipper").

Any idea of the model number so we can add it to the BSR changer ID thread?

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 5:42 pm   #15
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

I have tried at least 3 different records ...and last night played a brand new record I bought ..aka current release in sealed plastic ...

I played the side 1 ..and it was fine ...then ..played side 2 and problem happened ..I then switched it off and replayed side 1 same problem ... so I am sure it is not the record ...

I want to try again and see if it is power related ..I.E it has been unplugged for a time and then it works again ...is this even possible ..can the components hold the charge ..if so how long would you recommend I leave it unplugged to run tests ...

I will open it up and take photos tonight any components that need special attention ..

I know it is a secondary thing but any ideas on the auto changer ....
Old 19th Nov 2009, 5:56 pm   #16
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah well, it was just a thought but at least it's ruled out and the amp can be concentrated on.

"Auto button" as per post #1. Assuming you do indeed have the same deck as shown in post #10, the switch is moved to Start and then moved to Auto against spring pressure. Once released, the spring will return the switch to the Start position. Is that happening?

When using Auto mode, you may need to hold the switch in the Auto position until the mechanism kicks in and the tonearm begins to lift - and then release it. Are you doing that?
Old 19th Nov 2009, 6:04 pm   #17
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

hi Darren ..on the auto changer ...no I will try tonight ...this maybe a stupid comment but just to be clear ...

1.So I put the record on the turn table ...
2.move the switch into the start position
3.then Hold the switch in the auto position till I hear a tone

..say max 30 secs ..if nothing happens then it is broken ?
Old 19th Nov 2009, 6:15 pm   #18
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Wrong in respect of question 1. Place record on stacking spindle and swing overarm into position. If you dump a record straight onto the turntable the Auto function will not operate, unless the overarm is swung clear of the turntable in which case repeat play comes into operation.

On question three, move switch to Auto and after a second or two you'll hear the mechanism activate itself, then the tonearm will lift off its rest. Well that's what should happen anyway. Try those things this evening and let us know the outcome.

Remember, however, that a fault probably exists on the amp; dodgy capacitors maybe (there may only be the odd one, apart from the main can) or perhaps a dodgy o/p valve, so that ought to be attended to first.

Record decks seldom get "broken" unless the phantom has been in there. As has been said, dried up grease is the usual cause of mechanical problems. Sometimes springs can go weak or even break of their own accord but this is quite rare.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 6:21 pm   #19
richardholst
Retired Dormant Member

thanks Darren ..got it will try tonight ...and update tomorrow ...
Old 19th Nov 2009, 6:32 pm   #20
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Good luck and yes, let us know in as much detail as you can regarding what it will and will not do.

If the auto mechanism tries to cut in but the whole caboodle slows down and stops, give the turntable a bit of a push to help it on its way. If you have to do this, you've a dried up grease or idler wheel problem. If on the other hand the auto mechanism is indeed faulty we'll have to start again.

As I said earlier, don't neglect that possibly faulty amp in favour of the deck mechanics.
Closed Thread