UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:39 pm   #1
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Default HMV 2024 "tape" and "stereo" sockets

Since getting the Balfour deck inside this record player working and having checked the styli, I've been having loads of fun playing so many of my singles that I wouldn't dare play on the main system.

I can't seem to discover what the front panel sockets are in terms of connectors. the mic socket looks like a "special" and as I have no interest in using a mic with this unit, I'm not bothered. However, I'd like to know what the type of sockets are for "Tape" and "Stereo" though, as they don't seem to be RCA phono types, nor does a 3.5mm jack plug seem to engage.

Can anyone help?
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:59 pm   #2
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: HMV 2024 "tape" and "stereo" sockets

Hello, when you say they don't seem to be phono sockets, is this because you have tried a regular phono plug and got no signal? If it's the older type of phono socket they needed a longer centre pin to make the connection. Does it sound like this?

David.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 12:15 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

You will probably find this unit is fitted with din sockets (3 or 5 pin)

Mark
Old 30th Jan 2011, 12:29 am   #4
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Mark, I just did a search on the net for an image, and although not a close up, it looks like a DIN for the mike and the other 2 look like 3.5 jacks. The play
er is more modern than I was thinking so, this is probably right.

David.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 12:03 pm   #5
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The mic socket is a DIN variant, but with seemingly non standard pin configuration. The other two sockets are basically what appear to be 3.5mm approx holes, but there's not enough clearance for the shroud of a phono plug to fit around the black central piece (I am aware of the older long-pin phono plugs). Since the HMV was made in the late 60's, I suspect there are other record players with basically the same amp and connectors, but with different deck and styling.

I'll ask the previous owner (who's had the unit since new and is clearing out his house prior to a move) if he can find the original instruction manual - I have the Balfour service and setup bits (they don't seem to be related to Collaro/Magnavox at all, unless an ex-Collaro staff member started this business in the late 60's), but only a brochure for the 2024 as a whole, which gives no indication of the plugs required.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 9:20 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The mic socket on these units is a standard 4 pin DIN switched socket identical to the 'STEREO' socket fitted to some Bush players, the switch contacts will be used to disconnect the cartridge of the record deck from the internal amplifier when being used with a microphone.

The 'TAPE' and 'STEREO' sockets on the HMV player are probably 3.5mm jack sockets, the Stereo socket being for use with an external "stereo" amplifier and the Tape socket, presumably as an output (and also possibly an input depending on exactly how it is wired) for connection to a tape recorder.

I think that the Ferguson 3007 used a similar arrangement.

Regards
Andrew
Old 30th Jan 2011, 9:52 pm   #7
D_S_J_R
Heptode

There were a number of models which appeared to use the same amp module and wiring arrangements, only the layout and turntable choice seeming to dictate the model.

I'll try again with a 3.5mm plug
Old 30th Jan 2011, 10:27 pm   #8
ricksteptoe
Pentode

The two sockets are almost certain to be 3.5 mm jacks as I had a 2000 series record player new in the mid 60's and that is what it had. They were not best quality though, and eventually needed an elastic band secured to the tone controls and the plug to guarantee contact.

Rick.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 4:19 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's just possible that they are 'not quite' 3.5mm sockets.
I've come across the odd one before which looks very similar, but is of a slightly different size - marginally larger diameter, and using a plug with a more pronounced latching recess behind the tip.
Closed Thread