UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:15 pm   #1
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Default Radiogram with built in reel to reel tape player

Hi,

I was in a junk shop today and came across a radiogram with a built in reel to reel tape player, the man in the shop said it was £30 is this too much to pay? He says everything works.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Radiogram with built in reel to reel tape player

Depends if you want it.

The value will depend on the manufacturer and model. Radiograms with built in tape recorders were normally at the top of the range - the big German manufacturers offered them.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 4:47 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

It will almost certainly require servicing especially if its a valved unit.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 26th Sep 2016, 6:00 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Difficult to say without knowing the manufacturer and era but, in terms of value, cosmetic order is particularly important as repairs to the electronics are usually relatively inexpensive. £30.00 sounds pretty reasonable for something to play with - if you have the requisite skills...or a hunger to acquire them.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 8:27 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Be very careful whem someone says "it works" - it might mean it just lights up. Anything like this with a radio, a record deck and reel-to-reel is bound to need work on it. Edward
Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:47 am   #6
david freeman
Hexode

I wonder if it could be a Stereosound model. They produced an all in one which used a BSR UA15, a BSR TD10 three speed tape deck, and a tuner, in a radiogram format.
Old 27th Sep 2016, 5:08 pm   #7
reelguy
Heptode

I have had a Big Grundig radiogram with a Grundig reel to reel recorder .I only bought it because of the reel deck in it. Sounded great when I first had it but I left the reel recorder playing music unattended , the tape jammed and burned out the motor . I did try changing the capstan motor from a parts m/c but no joy.
The turntable was missing but I think it was a Garrard originally. No idea of the model number.
The radio sounded really great but I removed the valves and have used the radiogram as a stand for a couple of reel recorders and other stuff !. If I remember correctly.the unit is called a Marlborough which I think has the same circuit as the Grundig 3028 radio ?..one day I might mend it !

Getting back to the one you saw for sale.
If the seller says it's working ask if you can hear it ! It will very likely need some sort of attention which may or may not be expensive .

Peter W...Reelguy.
P's if I get a minute I'll take a pic .
Old 27th Sep 2016, 6:37 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If the OP has little or no skills I would avoid. I doubt if it all works and if you need to have it fixed you'll be looking at a bit more than £30. Edward
Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:15 pm   #9
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Hi all,

I'm going back to the shop on Friday so I'll take a better look at it. It looked like a 1960s model however I can't remember the name but I know the name started with a C.

Peter, those pictures would be useful, thanks.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Old 27th Sep 2016, 9:37 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It could be Stereosound "Carousel". Edward
Old 27th Sep 2016, 11:44 pm   #11
stubbyeddy
Pentode

I have a Grundig radiogram with a reel to reel and as has been said it was a higher end model having a push pull amp but its only mono, the pic of it is my profile photo, also if pics help this folder has the restoration before and after photos, model is Grundig Arundel 8055W/3D GB

Paid £40 so price does not seem too bad be interesting to see what make/model it is..
Old 28th Sep 2016, 12:27 am   #12
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
I'm going back to the shop on Friday so I'll take a better look at it.
Instead of looking why not ask for a demonstration and if he's sure it works he shouldn't mind.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:55 am   #13
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It could be Stereosound "Carousel". Edward
Hi,

Carousel that's it! Thanks Edward.

Thanks for the pictures and I will ask for a demonstration tomorrow when I visit.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Old 29th Sep 2016, 6:54 pm   #14
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Hi,

I've found a picture of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	130690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	130691  
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:53 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, that's the one. Not 100% sure if it's stereo though, but it was made in 1963/4 so should be. The record player only version of the "Carousel" was definately mono. Edward
Old 30th Sep 2016, 7:51 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbrownin View Post
Thanks for the pictures and I will ask for a demonstration tomorrow when I visit.
And don't be taken in by any malfunctions that he says can be cured with just a clean or lubrication, that type of dismissive comment. For example, I know from my interest in vintage hifi that all too often when lamps are missing from a receiver, the seller says that they can be picked up on Ebay for pennies when the truth is they are simply no longer available. Anything that doesn't work 100% - and that's very unlikely - will require a full service and that's a big job. Not trying to put you off, just trying to help you get it at a good price. Allow him to show you how it doesn't work by asking him to demonstrate all the features, controls etc. And most of them will crackle, splutter, not work properly, slowly, whatever. At that point, hopefully, you are able to agree a much reduced price in view of the 'massive' amount of work that has to be done to it to get it working properly. And frankly, very often, people can't give these things away.
Old 30th Sep 2016, 3:07 pm   #17
david freeman
Hexode

That's the model I had in mind in my earlier post.
Old 30th Sep 2016, 9:49 pm   #18
kirstyd
Heptode

My aunt had one of these when i was a boy. It was probably slightly older than the one in the picture [it had a cloth panel across the speaker opening] but the inards and the layout are exactly the same. She gave it to me sometime in the 80's when she bought a CD player. Have to say it's nothing special with very mediocre sound. Removing the screws on the top panel gives access to the tuner and tape deck plus its little speaker.
Old 1st Oct 2016, 9:43 pm   #19
ryanbrownin
Pentode

I visited the shop yesterday and tested everything, radio and tape player worked perfectly however the record player was missing its needle. At this point I was prepared to buy it but I had come to the conclusion before I arrived at the shop that I was not going to buy it unless he dropped the price by at least £5, but before I could ask for a £5 price reduction he said "its £40" I gave up on it at that point! Also the cabinet was in rough condition and needed refinishing, that was another deal breaker.
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 10:01 am   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You may have missed the boat here Ryan. He probaly remembered you and put the price up by a third in the anticipation that you will be the first in an eager line of the new "retro" enthusiasts. £30 probaly wasn't a bad price in the current very new market. Two years ago I would have said keep going back until it's £20 but it may well have gone now. Worth hanging about though. The fact that the tape recorder is included does make it much rarer.
Dave W
Closed Thread