UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2017, 1:36 am   #41
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern soldering stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Also to note, if the element goes or the cable breaks (another problem!) you need another soldering iron to fix it. Keep the antex ones around
More "inaccuracies", I bought a selection of different bits and a spare element (never needed to todate) when I bought the iron. The spares were available at good prices then and I suspect they are still are now.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 10th Oct 2017 at 1:43 am.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 7:06 am   #42
MrBungle
Dekatron

Mine came with a spare element. These aren’t inaccuracies.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:13 pm   #43
Andrewausfa
Octode

Just out of interest, I found the board for the Maplin station (almost the same as the OP) I demolished a while ago. Not a lot to it, just this board and a lump of metal. The Triac is a BT13G.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	150569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3779.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	150570  
Old 11th Oct 2017, 2:24 pm   #44
DCBassman
Triode

When the company I worked for shut down and made us all redundant, they were basically throwing away anything that wouldn't transfer easily to overseas locations. Avos, PCs, all sorts of stuff. I got to keep most of my tools, including my Weller station, still going strong, and a whole reel of 60/40 solder, also still plenty left! Never been interested in other brands as such, although if the Weller dies, the Antex factory is just half a mile away...
Old 11th Oct 2017, 2:41 pm   #45
Oldcodger
Nonode

Looking back at RW #5 post, I've had two Wellers, both from similar sources. First one was one made from two found in the scrap pile in a factory in RW area. That was a TCP. My ECP which needs a temperature sensor came from a GEC factory, via same method -again two scrap found in bin, and I made one out of the two. As I mentioned earlier, for quick jobs, I'll use the Weller as it heats a lot faster than the Maplin BP53.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 3:43 pm   #46
dave cox
Nonode

I think my old antex 660TC unit was quite decent for the money. It’s up to soldering temp within 2 mins from stone cold, comes with a nice flexy silicone lead and just has a simple dial to set the temperature. The tips are dirt cheap and have a decent life for hobby use.

On the downside, the control is not brilliant and it can be slow to maintain temperature with a small bit vs a big ground plane! Swapping bits is not the easiest thing to do, especially hot, and I have managed to break the stand several times as the plastic is rather brittle ☹

Not sure about their new versions, I don't thing having the temp adjustment in the handle is useful and its just something else to go wrong.

dc
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:31 pm   #47
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I have a couple of older Antex TCS 'in handle' irons. They work well on a set-and-forget basis, but the miniature pots aren't really up to regular adjustment. As far as the Maplin and similar stations go, you might as well just wire a standard iron through a lamp dimmer.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 9:22 pm   #48
Edwar65
Pentode

Hi,recently located a Weller ps3d station and iron for £30. Owner says it's working fine,however I can find no info on it via web. Can anyone elaborate as to age of item and value considering its age and quality.
It will be my first solder station as I only solder infrequently but am.interested in delving into a bit more repair work as a hobby. I've ever recently lost an antex Xs 25 which I lent to a friend and have now misplaced it😤😤
Thanks for any advice.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 11:08 pm   #49
MrBungle
Dekatron

Early 1990s. Good value. If it works, snap it up quick. That's about half the going price for a working one.

You can test it's working by turning it on and listening. The handpiece should click every few seconds as the magnastat switch changes state. Look out for dropped ones (the casing won't stay together) and knackered iron cables and connectors. They're all replaceable but a hassle you don't need. The iron stands tend to look pretty horrible after a few years but don't let that put you off; they still work

Expect to buy a new bit for it. RS sell them for around the £5-6 mark each including free next day courier. They last a very long time from experience. I've only ever bought a new one if I needed a difference size.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 11:54 pm   #50
Oldcodger
Nonode

Edwar65- if buying from RS, it's a lot cheaper to go collect from the trade counter. Order/pay on-line and usually collect next day.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 11:55 pm   #51
Edwar65
Pentode

Many thanks for the info, won't get to look at it till weekend but seems a genuine chap, so I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Tom.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 7:17 pm   #52
Neutrino
Pentode

I wonder whether the Parkside Digital Soldering Station that will be available at Lidl from Sunday 15 October for £17.99 will be worth buying:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...articleId=6988
Old 12th Oct 2017, 7:28 pm   #53
MrBungle
Dekatron

Probably not.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 8:03 pm   #54
samjmann
Heptode

Hi all,

Not sure if any Pace equipment goes second hand, but the PS-80 iron and control unit is probably the best iron I've used in 30 odd years. Cheap they're not but there is a vast range of tips available for the irons. With a little practice you make a 'iron joint' look as good as hot-air.

I was a dedicated Antex user for years, and have used Weller's as well as a Henley Solon (remember those?). But for me all round the Pace do seem the best, but at a high price. The Metcal is good too, but as others have found, they don't seem too rugged.

SJM.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:00 pm   #55
duncanlowe
Nonode

Henley Solon. Yes, my dad had one that I cut my teethe on. I'm a Weller man. Pace have been good wheel they work, but never found them durable in a number of places I used them. Once had a Pace rep turn up uninvited to try to sell me their kit, and he wasn't impressed when sent away!
Old 14th Oct 2017, 9:02 am   #56
ndg-2000
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
I wonder whether the Parkside Digital Soldering Station that will be available at Lidl from Sunday 15 October for £17.99 will be worth buying:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...articleId=6988
To be fair to Lidl I have bought quite a few different tools from there and the quality has been the same as most high street diy shops and at a competitive price point.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 9:53 am   #57
evingar
Octode

Yes, depends what you want. The problem with that type of stuff though is spares. It is very unlikely that spare tips and element will be available for long - if at all. Given the price point though, maybe that's a churlish comment, as the price of the whole thing is less than a tip for certain stations. Still, sticks in the craw for some of us to chuck stuff out - at any price point for any reason.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 2:12 pm   #58
MrBungle
Dekatron

Purely in a pool of ironic coincidence, my WTCP51 has just failed on me. No heat. Magnastat jammed. First time that has ever happened to me.

Will call Farnell on Monday as it's still under warranty.

May have to purchase a Hakko iron "just to see" (poor excuse but meh )
Old 15th Oct 2017, 3:35 pm   #59
ParcGwyn
Hexode

I normally use a Weller TCP iron but have just purchased the Lidl iron as it is easy to adjust the temeprature. As expected the Lidl one is no match for the Weller, the cable is not very flexible and the bits are not a very good shape. However the iron warms up quickly the display shows the iron temperature and also how much power is being delivered to the element. The bits just screw into the iron so should be easy to manufacture. I used the iron this afternoon and for the price I am pleased with it but it will not replace my Weller.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 15th Oct 2017, 9:42 pm   #60
Edwar65
Pentode

PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]Well, I went ahead and bought my 1st TCP iron.
I've fired it up this evening and it gets hot very quickly, but I can't here no clicking as mentioned in previous comments. I took the tip assembly apart and have looked at guts in iron. When iron tip is viewed with lights off, I can see the tip glowing a very dim red����. The tip is marked with a no7 at base.
Being a novice with this iron what would be way forward with repair should it need it??
Many thanks
Tom.

Last edited by Edwar65; 15th Oct 2017 at 9:48 pm.
Closed Thread