UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2004, 2:48 pm   #1
Gordon
Pentode

Default PAL to SECAM converter

Hi everybody,

I live in France and let my French neighbour borrow PAL-encoded videos, which she watches on her SECAM system, in black and white.
Does anybody have a design for a simple converter so I can add some colour to her life! ?

Gordon.
Old 18th May 2004, 3:43 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PAL to SECAM converter

I suspect the simplest answer is a multistandard video recorder. Most (newer) european TVs are already dual system PAL/SECAM.
Old 20th May 2004, 7:36 pm   #3
Gordon
Pentode

There was a design for a 'transcoder' in the Jan issue of Elector, 1996.
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a copy of this?

Gordon.

Thank you Jeffery, I think you are probably right,
Old 20th May 2004, 9:19 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

In the early 1980s I worked for Michael Cox Electronics. Amongst other things they made PAL>SECAM and SECAM>PAL transcoders. These were complex professional items. Even if I had the schematics around I doubt that you'd want to build any of them at home.

Cox was one the very few companies that actively supported SECAM. I did a (mercifully) small amount of design work on SECAM equipment before moving on to more interesting things.

Good luck with whatever method you use to get the tapes to work.
Old 21st May 2004, 7:58 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

There must be one chip that does virtually the whole job. Otherwise the Elektor project and the product that Malcolm found would not be feasible. I suppose it's just possible that they use a SECAM decoder chip and a PAL encoder chip back to back.
Old 21st May 2004, 7:19 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Also be warned that cheap PAL>SECAM conversion can look pretty horrible.
Old 22nd May 2004, 3:05 pm   #7
Gordon
Pentode

I have found a design on the following site:

http://kudelsko.free.fr/

The site is worth visiting just for the superb detail, as for the cost, probably much more than a new VCR Paul. I will take a trip to my local Carrefour.

Gordon
Old 22nd May 2004, 11:06 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Gordon.

Before you dive in and buy/build a transcoder be careful. There are several possibilities here. (1) Your neighbours VCR is not PAL/SECAM compatible and therefore will not recognise the colour burst signal from a PAL tape. It's output will be black and white. (2) Your neighbours VCR is PAL/SECAM compatible but the TV is not (less likely but possible). Result is still a B/W picture but a transcoder will not correct this. I think Jeffs first answer is correct and you require a Multistandard VCR.

If your neighbours VCR is connected to the TV via the aerial socket it might be possible to program the TV to select PAL for that program number (assuming a multistandard TV) and assuming a multistandard VCR.

Now probably even more confused.......!

Rich.
Old 23rd May 2004, 8:47 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The design that Gordon found is very much as I would expect. PAL decode followed by SECAM encode. Not worth the trouble of building when there are easier solutions around.
Closed Thread