UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2017, 11:13 pm   #61
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern soldering stations.

That will most likely be a shorted thermostat.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 12:17 am   #62
Edwar65
Pentode

I took the tip off cleaned it up and reinserted and it's now not glowing a dull red?
Could it be a duff tip or as you say the stat.? I still cannot hear any clicking when at operating temp??
Cheers.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 12:25 am   #63
Refugee
Dekatron

If you measure it with a meter and remove the tip it should change to open circuit.
When it gets up to temperature the thermostat should open. The but of the tip is made of a material that becomes non magnetic when it is heated so that the magnet lets go and allows the switch to open.
I have seen switches that are jammed solid so that they are a write off.
I have seen new switches on sale at places like Farnell.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 3:29 pm   #64
Edwar65
Pentode

Is the switch the yellow piece with a capacitor attached to it. I can't see a way of dismantling the switch it has black end caps an I correct??
Cheers.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 4:02 pm   #65
TonyDuell
Dekatron

That sounds like the switch in a TCP iron. It has a long shaft that goes up inside the element. Inside the shaft is the magnet that is attracted to the back of the bit.

The yellow part is actually sticky tape I think. You can peel it off (or you could on the ones I've worked on) and remove the cover from the switch (this cover is a rectangle with semicircular ends if you see what I mean, and is black in colour).

Do check that the capacitor (wired in parallel with the switch) is not shorted too. A replacement switch from Weller comes with the capacitor and 2 short wires to connect to the tags on the frame inside the iron.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 4:08 pm   #66
Edwar65
Pentode

Many thanks Tony. Just bought the iron should have checked beforehand that switch was ok really but there we go,I don't think seller knew how they worked anyhow as I asked about whether it clicked during operation and he didn't have a clue what I was on about or maybe he was acting dumb??
With the price of a switch I'm not sure if it was such a good buyat £30, but there we go eh??
Cheers.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 4:40 pm   #67
MrBungle
Dekatron

You're still doing alright.

You will have to check it's the right part before obtaining it but there are switches (PN 51020199) on ebay for £27.06 including delivery which is reasonable.

If you end up spending less than £80 in total you're still up on a guaranteed working one and the switch certainly won't jam or die in the near future!
Old 16th Oct 2017, 10:30 pm   #68
Refugee
Dekatron

If you unscrew the barrel and move the tip in and out of the element and you can hear it clicking it will be the capacitor.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 12:06 am   #69
Edwar65
Pentode

Hi, took the iron apart and cleaned the switch contacts and put back together. Worked ok for a bit could hear the switch operating very quietly, but after a while of soldering the iron sticks open and won't heat up intermittently without tapping the iron
I noticed that one section of the switch has a very small diameter piece of wire that provides into the heating element,mine was about 20mm long and very rusty is this how.it should be??
With regard to the capacitor does this need to be removed to test it?
Thanks
Old 17th Oct 2017, 12:47 am   #70
Refugee
Dekatron

I would clean the switch and the wire perhaps with water. You need to get all the dust out of the switch otherwise it will keep sticking. Dry it on a central heating radiator for a few hours before trying it again.
The switch cover needs to be put back accurately ot this will also cause to to stick again.
The capacitor can be tested with the tip removed but it is most likely to be fine now you have got some life out of the switch.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 10:44 am   #71
ex seismic
Heptode

Mine doesn't audibly click in operation but as has been noted you can feel/hear it when moving the bit in and out.

Gordon
Old 17th Oct 2017, 11:12 am   #72
MrBungle
Dekatron

I bashed mine on the table a few times and it has unstuck!

I'm slightly tempted to buy a Hakko one just to see.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 1:57 pm   #73
dave cox
Nonode

Wow, one of the new weller soldering stations has a password lock !
Just what I need

dc
Old 17th Oct 2017, 2:32 pm   #74
MrBungle
Dekatron

I can see my RMA now "forgotten password"
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:17 pm   #75
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsherwin (in a now closed thread)
I bought one of the cheap Lidl soldering stations a couple of years ago when they were last in stock. It works well enough but the temperature regulation is very hit and miss and it's very cheaply made. I mostly still use my old Antex for everyday work, and a market stall 60W job when I need to get something really hot.
I too bought the Lidl soldering stations more out of curiosity than anything else. How could they sell a temperature controlled iron for £8.99?

The truth is it isn't a temperature controlled iron and Lidl don't claim that it is. I haven't dismantled it, but I am convinced that it is a variable power iron with the power input controlled by a triac circuit similar to that used in incandescent lamp dimmers. A transistor radio placed near the station gives away a tell tail buzz that varies with adjustment of the control knob.
Closed Thread