UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2017, 1:13 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Serious radio interference

OFCOM passed on the responsibility for investigating interference to the BBC a few years ago.

Looking at the BBC website all they seem to offer is "Self Help" and like many organisations they make it difficult if not impossible to contact them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/self_help

http://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/interference

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jul 2017, 1:54 pm   #22
Tractionist
Heptode

Can you pin-point when this started? E.g. Have your street lights been converted to LED? Given that this is affecting battery sets, I'd have thought that the service/utility supplier would be very concerned that something is radiating RF.

(You may of course have a hobbyist running and arc/MIG/TIG welder 24/7!!)
Old 9th Jul 2017, 2:11 pm   #23
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have had this as well. Low voltage LED lamps have a transformer unit attached to them often a switch mode. These can even make an unholy row on the AM bands even when the light is switched off.

Good luck finding it and making the person aware these days.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 9th Jul 2017, 4:39 pm   #24
poppydog
Banned

Nobody growing anything they shouldn't be near you are they? There is an awful lot of electrical paraphernalia used in doing that today and that's an awful noise.

Regards
Poppydog
Old 9th Jul 2017, 10:29 pm   #25
camtechman
Nonode

First of all "Hi Howard", it's some time since I've see you on this web. Hope you are well etc.

I've been suffering all sorts of interference, especially on AM bands and never been able to find out where most of it eminates from (except when my neighbour moved out last year and that was one source that stopped)

It's not just one particular type and i've found it worse about 15 ft from my bungalow and, with aid of an AM radio, seems to run the length of the road that runs through our estate.

More recently, I have interference now that blocks/wipes out FM bands, as well as interferes when I'm doing recordings on my cassette recorders.....that I've found is from my BT Wi-FI hub(?), even at a distance of 10ft or more.

Tony
Old 10th Jul 2017, 12:48 am   #26
paulsherwin

Tony, you should not be seeing that level of interference from an ADSL modem router. There is a fault somewhere, maybe in the power supply.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 10:11 am   #27
Damo666
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Has anyone in your area had a smart meter fitted recently?
Hello John,

not as far as I am aware but I will ask. I gather that smart meters communicate at 2.4GHz so tend to upset wi-fi rather than AM radios.

Regards ..... Howard
Those Smart meters upset a lot of SW, and people in the USA are up in arms about it just now.

My neighbour had one fitted several weeks ago and it's made listening on the 11M CB band extremely noisy at various times - often resulting in me turning off within just seconds.

LED street lamps are also notorious for RFI, as I've noticed a big increase in interference since these were introduced about 6 Months ago.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 11:10 am   #28
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo666 View Post
people in the USA are up in arms about it just now.
Apparently they're concerned that RF from the smart meters will fry their brains.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 1:19 pm   #29
camtechman
Nonode

Paul Sherwin,

Quote:
you should not be seeing that level of interference from an ADSL modem router.
It's the BT HUB-6 as I've got fastest fibre BB from BT (the one with 3 pretty colours when it boots up) and, something I didn't try first but it's only happening when the radio is powered by it's wall wart. Disconnect the PSU and fit batteries and no interference.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 2:05 pm   #30
Techman
Dekatron

Since I got a 'newer' computer it causes problems with short wave etc. and also normal broadcast FM. I've just looked and I'm getting a constant S4 of hash from it on SW, this varies up to higher levels with browser usage. If I were to pull the network plug out of the back of the PC tower (I don't use wireless) then the hash level drops right off.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 2:41 pm   #31
julie_m
Dekatron

Perhaps you need better quality network cables?

You probably will get a better throughput, too, if all your bits are going to the switch and not the nearest radio!
Old 10th Jul 2017, 2:59 pm   #32
Techman
Dekatron

Ha ha! All my network cables were from the skip when I was at work - says it all really!

I just put up with it as I don't leave the PC running when I'm not actually using it. Another thing is that the way I've got it all plumbed in for neatness in the living room, there's internet and antenna cabling running next to each other - not ideal. If I want to be less comfortable than relaxing on the sofa, then sitting on a swivel chair or stool in my dedicated but cluttered (at the moment) radio room, I can use equipment in there with less interference problems.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 3:09 pm   #33
Techman
Dekatron

I should add that the cabling is obviously still running together even when unplugged from the PC, but as there's no internet 'traffic' when unplugged, there's no RFI.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 3:32 pm   #34

(moan mode) it is all well and good turning off stuff when you want to use shortwave, what about other people? (moan mode off)

EMC is for everybody, shame that most of the stuff sold there days ignores the "guidelines" and has a CE sticker somewhere making it seem legit.

Old 10th Jul 2017, 6:06 pm   #35
Techman
Dekatron

You can rest assured that the 'neighbourhood' gives me more RF noise than than I give them. The PC interference is local to the room it's in, whereas the surrounding neighbourhood gives me a constant 24/7 S2-3 on good days, going up to S6-7 at times on bad days.

I do note, however, that the interference being experienced by the OP is of a different type than being talked about here. I have at odd times in the past experienced the type of interference that the OP has posted on his video clip.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 8:18 pm   #36

Tongue in cheek...
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:08 pm   #37
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

That interference is the type of noise I associate with pooly suppressed thyristor control circuits. It could be an old lamp dimmer with an o/c suppression capaciter.
But then again, it's there 24 hours of the day. Just a guess... Tony.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 9:59 pm   #38
Wellington
Hexode

Post Re: Serious radio interference

I was reading this article today, and the penultimate paragraph reminded me of Howard's interference problem. It's a quote from an Ofcom spokesman:
“We have a spectrum enforcement team who look after our airwaves and make sure they are kept free from interference, whether it is deliberate or accidental, and we have strong enforcement powers."
Probably corporate PR guff , but it might provide some leverage to get them to investigate, if required
Old 12th Jul 2017, 9:33 am   #39
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

The levels of interference and noise have now reached unacceptable levels in my house. Most of it coming from aging Plasma TV's in three of the surrounding houses, a strange and intermittent noise that effects parts of the HF end of the MW band with three strong narrowband carriers that drift around in frequency. The strongest of which is on/near 1296Khz and the second strongest on or near 1215Khz. Its seems to be coming from the mains UG cable and using a portable radio I can pick these carriers up around the neighbourhood. I cannot blame the new LED street lighting as this interference showed up before the new LED lamps were fitted. These signals will then disappear for months before strangely appearing again. This make it difficult to report or even talk to anyone about . I suspect its a developing cable or substation fault.
Our Virgin router has also started to produce a whining hash noise across mush of the AM spectrum since I had to fit a replacement wall wort PSU. The new PSU from Virgin does not have a filter fitted on the lead so I might try fitting some ferrit loops or clamps instead.
Old 16th Jul 2017, 3:28 pm   #40
ionburn
Heptode

Well it's back to Morse code then!

The early form of digital signal which stands a chance of getting through anything. Modern encoding / decoding by computer will get through!

As interference is mainly local then the powers that be are maybe less concerned, but don't forget the problems with the Woodpecker and other various government stations not too long ago.
Closed Thread