UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2010, 10:47 pm   #1
The teleman
Pentode

Default Radio Rentals 466

Hi Guys , My latest purchase from the NVCF ( Great event by the way ) is the Radio rentals 466 & GEC 328 , more about the GEC in a later thread , The R/R 466 on inspection looked clean & untouched & looked over engineered with a rather over the top method of connecting the tuner to the controll at the front of the set ( bicycle chain ?)with the exception of the main smoothing cap having another riding piggyback & the PY81 being down to air nothing seems amiss. So i replaced the PY81 & removed the mains filtercap for now then wound up the power on the variac , All valves lit up ( thats a bonus ) then there was a horrible hum from the speaker & no picture . Looking closer at the 10 or so hunts caps shows cracks on nearly all of them So now was the time to replace them all plus 3 wax caps . All was going great untill i came to replace the main smoother , The main cap & its piggyback friend had no makings on them , I thought i would go for the usual 100 + 200 uf & see what happens , Switch on & sound ok picture needs a bit of work but the hum i had on the sound has gone but its now on the picture in the form of linearity going up & down at the bottom of the picture, Cant see any hum barr on the vision . The biggest problem is woking without any service information, Any one of you RADIO RENTAL guys now this set ? or if a circuit diagram is available , Cheers , Chris..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001304.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	35712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001305.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	35713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001307.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	35714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001308.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	35715  
Old 11th May 2010, 11:22 pm   #2
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Re: Radio Rentals 466

Hi Chris,
I saw this on Sunday, nice set. Hope the picture is of interest.
I look forward to reading the progress on this. There was trade service info on my 1962 19" Baird so you may be lucky.
Best wishes,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RR4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	35720  
Old 12th May 2010, 3:43 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

There may be another cap on the power supply to the frame stages. Maybe on the frame panel rather than the PSU. Change this and set up.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th May 2010, 6:40 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Now that is a real enthusiasts set! They give brilliant pictures and were very reliable as were most sets employing 90degree CRT's. It's very clean and nice and easy to service due to good access. Good luck with it! Regards, John.
Old 21st May 2010, 10:36 pm   #5
The teleman
Pentode

Hi guy`s An update on this set , managed to find the circuit diagram for the R/R 460 series chassis with a series of bulitens form the tech department, was`nt far out with the smoother values should be 150 + 150 + 75 uf the 75 uf is in the frame circuit, the closest i could find is a 200 + 200 + 100 uf so i fitted this AND ITS STILL THE SAME I think i have a heater cathode leak because if i remove a sound valve & observe the picure the fault gets a lot worse , I have tried ALL the valves by substitution & connected the crt to a seperate heater supply but no change , NOW , This is the point that ( if i had any ) i should be pulling my hair out If any one could suggest anything i would be very greatful , Chris..
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:30 am   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

A picture is worth a thousand words. Take a few and post them so we can see the fault.

Cheers,

Steve P.