UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2009, 11:26 pm   #1
Derminator
Pentode

Default National DE-631 any info?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this radio, how old etc. I picked it up on Freecycle and it was complete but completely dead. Got it to power up by retensioning the jaws of the internal fuse holder and cleaning some corrosion off the fuse but it is silent apart from a very faint hum from the speakers. As I turn the tuning control the magic eye responds so I'm hoping there's nothing too seriously wrong.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774ed1.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775ed1.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	24388  
Old 6th Apr 2009, 11:39 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: National DE-631 any info?

Well, it's Japanese and I can't find anything either. But given a valve data book you should be able to coax it into life. If the Magic Eye is showing stations then we can't have much wrong.

Is the O/P Valve - the one by the Transformer alight? Are the wires to the controls in place? The first part to look at is the capacitor that feeds the grid of the O/P valve from the Anode of the one before it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Apr 2009, 11:49 pm   #3
Derminator
Pentode

Thanks for the tip Steve. I'll be taking a closer look over the next few days.
Old 6th Apr 2009, 11:56 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, with the info you've given I too would focus on and around the o/p valve. I note it's not sitting vertically in its socket; try moving it gently to see if the radio splutters into life - there may just be a poorly connecting pin or two on that valve.

Dating is very difficult; frontal appearance suggests 1960-ish but the wooden cabinet and MW plus 2 x SW coverage may mean it's 1956/7. There may be a date stamped inside the cabinet or on certain components (the smoothing/Res cap, for example).

The knobs don't appear original - note the wavechanger is sitting midway between two bands.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 12:13 am   #5
Derminator
Pentode

Quote:
The knobs don't appear original - note the wavechanger is sitting midway between two bands.
Yes, I did notice that. I've been trying to find an image of one online but haven't as yet.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:07 am   #6
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Wasn't National a Panasonic trade name?
Mind you, I couldn't find anything under that either.
Alan
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:17 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It all stems from the rather unfortunately titled Matsushita Electric Co. To save this, essentially repair, thread from drifting too OT, there's something of a historical explanation here on Wikipedia.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:54 am   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Absence of LW and two SW bands suggests it's of non UK origin, or originally destined for somewhere other than the Uk.
U.S?
Have you tried looking for info on some American sites, as I believe National was used as a brand name by Matsushita over there.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:00 pm   #9
Derminator
Pentode

I have trawled through some U.S. sites, Tim, but haven't found it. I've found some close relatives on this japanese site though. The AH-700 on there from 1958 makes darren_uk's guess of 1960 look pretty good. It now looks likely that the knobs are original as the shafts have splines allowing the wavechanger to be aligned correctly. they also have their felt discs behind.
As Steve_P suggested the O/P valve doesn't light up so I know where to start looking when I've got the chassis out. I'll also be able to upload a photo of the circuit diagram that's pasted on the inside of the cabinet.
A cursory check with a terminal screwdriver told me that the chassis is live. Can anyone confirm that this is a live chassis model?
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:04 pm   #10
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

From the image in your first post it appears to have a hefty looking mains transformer and thus it shouldn't have a live chassis.

You should cast a suspicious eye towards any mains filter / suppression capacitors as they are probably leaky.

It's a very nice looking set in my opinion.

Regards,
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:08 pm   #11
Derminator
Pentode

Thanks Brian. I did think it a little odd that the shafts of the controls were live as well.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:15 pm   #12
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Do you have the rear panel? It should say on there about the mains supply, but as Brian says it looks like an AC set to me.

I'm surprised there's a splined shaft on the wavechanger; risk of stripping rather high I'd have thought.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 10:53 pm   #13
Derminator
Pentode

I do have rear panel and it says the power source is AC. Does this mean that it definitely shouldn't have a live chassis?
Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:00 pm   #14
Steve_P
Dekatron

In theory Yes, but practice is different. Always keep one hand out of the way when going inside live equipment.

Anyway, if the O/P valve does not light up, and the rest do and you have HT, then there are no heater volts to the O/P valve or the valve has gone.

It might be some Japanese type though. What does it say it is?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:25 pm   #15
Derminator
Pentode

It's a 6AR5. The others are 6BE6, 6BA6, 6AV6, 6DA5 (magic eye) and 6X4 (rectifier).
Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:57 pm   #16
Steve_P
Dekatron

6BE6 - EK90
6BA6 - EF93
6AV6 - EBC91
6DA5 - EM81
6X5 - EM35

There does not seem to be an equivalent for the 6AR5.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6ar5.html

The heater goes between pins 3 and 4. Hold the valve with the pins toward you, gap at the bottom. Count the pins round from the left of the gap. Pins 3 and 4 are the ones you want.

I think an EL90 would work here.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:25 am   #17
Derminator
Pentode

That's great Steve. Thanks for all the help.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 1:12 am   #18
Tim
Dekatron

Murphy strikes again.
It would be the rarest valve that's gone wouldn't it!

Good luck Derminator, I look forward to reading a "Success Story".....

You might find some on E-bay.Check your PM box.

Such as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VACUUM-TUBE-6A...3286.m63.l1177

(No connection with seller)

(Apologies if not allowed. Have also sent PM)

Last edited by Tim; 8th Apr 2009 at 1:17 am.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 7:24 am   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derminator View Post
I do have rear panel and it says the power source is AC. Does this mean that it definitely shouldn't have a live chassis?
Depends whether it's a "proper" transformer with separate windings or an autotransformer (just one tapped winding; more commonly used for higher voltages e.g. 110V from 230V UK mains than 6.3V for parallel heaters, since the low-voltage section needs to be would with thick wire to avoid voltage drop at the current it is going to be expected to carry, but the high-voltage section needs to be wound with thin wire so it will fit in the space available; and if you have to change the wire on the winding machine anyway, then it's hardly any less effort to make a separate winding). Check the wiring carefully, and test for continuity between chassis and the plug pins.

It's most likely that there's just some leakage, perhaps through a Y-mode capacitor or just parasitic coupling. A neon screwdriver will light with less current available than you can feel (obvious when you think about it).

If the set runs OK from a "PowerBreaker"-type ELCB adaptor with the chassis earthed, then fit a proper 3-core power lead.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 10:55 am   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
If the set runs OK from a "PowerBreaker"-type ELCB adaptor with the chassis earthed, then fit a proper 3-core power lead.
Yes. Run it via a plug-in RCD adaptor (like you might use with an electric lawnmower). Then temporarily connect the chassis to the earth pin in the mains plug and try again. If the RCD doesn't trip, you have an isolated chassis, and may want to earth it permanently for safety's sake.

It's very common for neon screwdrivers to light up when touched to old, non-earthed (Class 0) equipment, even when it's not faulty.

Nick.
Closed Thread