UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 8th Aug 2017, 10:59 pm   #21
The Philpott
Heptode

Default Re: Where to buy (old-fashioned) woodscrews?

I am lucky enough to be near to Reeves of Maldon for brass and stainless woodscrews but should they ever close one has the thorny problem of finding out who their suppliers are/were.
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2017, 5:28 am   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Nonode

I recently have been vexed by the same question, in my case I am looking for very small screws - 8mm by 2mm ish. I bought the smallest screws they had 4 3/8 (I think) from here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152002819058

These were too big for my purposes but delivery was quick and they were decent screws as you describe.

Andy.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 6:38 am   #23
stevehertz
Nonode

Personally I have always kept jam jars with contained discarded and recycled screws. Recently I transferred them to Stanley small parts container boxes and there's now individual 'slots' for different heads (countersunk, round, pan, instrument), type (bolt, screw, self tapper, spire etc), and material/colour (steel, brass, black anodised).

I also keep a 'mixed bag' slot with all different types of Japanese screws that I dismantle from junk hifi pieces. I rarely get caught out when I need a screw to replace a missing one in the back of a radio etc. I also have a long standing, family run hardware shop nearby that still has boxes of old fashioned screws of many different types and sizes.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 9:54 am   #24
vidjoman
Octode

I needed some 'olde fashioned' screws for some chairs. The chair restorer used new metric screws that, although too long had larger heads and did not reach the bottom of the deep countersunk holes in the frame with the result that the seats fell off.

I got them from

www.screwsline.co.uk.

Vast choice of vintage/antique screws. They also buy vintage screws if you have some for sale.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2017, 3:00 pm   #25
emeritus
Nonode

Yacht/boat chandlers used to stock traditional brass and bronze screws in a range of sizes, as well as marine-quality A4 stainless steel. I haven't visited any for some years so I don't know what the present situation is.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:28 pm   #26
electroanorak
Pentode

Hi.

I have quite a few old type boxes of woodscrews in many sizes (brass and steel,). I will not use them, so if you would like them, you would be welcome. We are in Tonyrefail, so only a few miles away. You would be welcome to call and collect what I have.

Daniel.
electroanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:19 am   #27
robin coleman
Hexode

Local boot sales and some of those house clearance shops sometimes have a boxes and jars from the houses they have cleared.

Regards, Robin.
robin coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2017, 5:11 pm   #28
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

My local independent hardware store http://www.stdavids-stores.co.uk/ sells almost everything 'hardware wise' even proper woodscrews in brass and steel, you can buy singly if you like. Because little things (hinges knobs etc.) are not individually wrapped they are cheaper than B&Q et al.

Family owned and run, Mum, Dad and daughter (who I have seen grow up over the years using the store) well worth a vist if anyone is in the Maidenhead area.

They do paraffin by the gallon (yes gallon) the machine is marked "This machine dispenses in units of 2.27304 litres, half a gallon". All sales are added up on paper or in the head too.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 5:18 pm   #29
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

http://namrick.co.uk/ is worth a look too: though most of their stuff is bolts/machine-screws rather than wood-focussed.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2017, 8:19 pm   #30
yesnaby
Octode

PM sent to Ed Dinning.
yesnaby is offline   Reply With Quote