UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2015, 11:12 am   #1
gazz292
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR UA-25 record player, replacing capacitor

My girlfriend has a BSR UA-25 record player, built into a suitcase type case, mains only via a single insulated mains cord (looks like speaker wire).

It worked fine until a move, then it hummed badly so you can hardly hear the music.

It's got a little 2 valve amp in it, which I am led to believe is a rectifier valve and an amplifier valve, plus a condenser/capacitor 3 in 1 type in a metal can, plus a cap for the tone and a few resistors.

I am pretty sure it's the condenser/capacitor at fault, so have taken it out of circuit and am looking to find something to replace it with.
It has the following text on the can:

Hunts capacitors, made in UK.
CAP D.C.
RED: RES 32uF 275v
max ripple 250MA
YELLOW 16uF 275v
GREEN 25uF 25v
Can Negative

N Y1 KD851H

Should I try and find a replacement 3 in 1 capacitor in a can, or should I just put some modern caps in its place, and if so, what type should I use?

The amp is hidden inside the suitcase, so not on show, so I guess 3 x modern caps is the best solution, but also anything else to check out when I solder the new caps in place other than to re-flow the other joints?

I think the number on the can may be N Y1 KD85411 the H at the end looks like 2 I's or 1's with a scratch across them making it look like an H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150523_105041-1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	108637  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 26th May 2015 at 3:59 pm.
Old 23rd May 2015, 1:01 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR UA-25 record player, replacing capacitor

I would replace it with modern caps mounted on a tag strip. This will be a live chassis machine, be careful not to damage any safety features.
If the amplifier is a triode pentode, change the grid coupling cap, if it is just a pentode it will not have one.
Frank
Old 23rd May 2015, 1:27 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: BSR UA-25 record player, replacing capacitor

Hi,
'BSA UA-25' is the make and model of the turntable deck. The record player itself will have another maker's badge somewhere such as, Dansette, Ferguson, or some such. The amp is a pretty standard type used by a few makers.
Is the hum still there when the volume is turned right down? If not, it's unlikely to be HT smoothing. It might be a screening fault on the wiring between the pick-up and the amp.
If it's constant regardless of the volume control setting, then it could well be the capacitor.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 24th May 2015, 1:39 pm   #4
gazz292
Retired Dormant Member

The only name/number I can find is on the deck I'm afraid,
No sign of any other caps apart from the one to the tone pot.

The buzz/hum stayed the same no matter what position the volume pot was in, it changed in tone with the tone pot as I'd kinda expect,
Old 24th May 2015, 2:52 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

If it really did start suddenly following a move, the capacitors may not be faulty in themselves, more likely a dry or otherwise disturbed connection.
Re-fitting it may provide a cure.
Some photographs, internal and external may help with identification.
Old 24th May 2015, 11:30 pm   #6
gazz292
Retired Dormant Member

I re-flowed the joints on the cap can before I took it out, and it still had the terrible hum/buzz.

So I think my best bet is to find 3 suitable modern capacitors and put them in the circuit,

I'll put the original can back on the chassis so the next person to own this record player can gut it and hide the caps inside it if they want.

I would do this myself, but I am staying at my partner's place and trying to fix this here with a small selection of tools I have brought with me,

Attached are 3 photos of the record player, I am totally new to these things (tho at 38, old enough to remember how to use them)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarah's record player open.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	108746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarahs record player closed.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	108747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarahs record player amp.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	108748  
Old 25th May 2015, 10:25 am   #7
Station X

That player is a Fidelity as evidenced by the logo. Don't ask me the model name though.

It uses the usual UY85 and UL84 amplifier circuit as used in the Dansette Viva.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th May 2015, 9:36 am   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Personally I replace the reservoir/smoothing Capacitors with dual can types, available from, e.g. Cricklewood Electronics or the BVWS, and fit a small axial or radial electrolytic of, say 22, 33 or 47uf @ 25v under the chassis to replace the third section, which is almost always the Cathode bypass cap. for the o/p valve. The modern dual can types will usually fit in the hole vacated by the original, and accept the same diameter mounting clip.
Closed Thread