UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2017, 3:18 pm   #1
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

Default Gondolier Garrard 2025 platter has stopped turning

Hi, I've been using my Hacker gondolier gp42 on and off for a year or so. It plays very well except that the auto start/stop and return system has never worked, so I have to set the selector switch to manual to start it and then stop it with the same selector switch and lift the arm off the record.

However I turned the volume down on the player to answer the door yesterday and unfortunately forgot about it and didn't realise that I had left the player on and the deck turning overnight. When I went to use it today the player was still powered up but the deck had stopped spinning. The player was very warm, so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what may have happened and what may have failed...The speaker and cartridge seem fine as there is plenty of sound when I touch the needle.

Many thanks.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 3:40 pm   #2
Tom_I
Heptode

Default Re: Gondolier Garrard 2025 platter has stopped turning

The fact that the auto start and stop do not work on this deck means that the velocity trip has seized up. This thread shows what needs to be done to fix it.

I suspect what has happened is that the trip eventually managed to operate, and initiated the auto stop cycle, but because the mechanism is so gummed up, the motor did not have enough torque to complete it, and stalled.

You could try turning the platter by hand to complete the cycle, which will free it up again, but if it's too stiff, don't force it. In any event, it's a turntable off job to free up the autochange mechanism (follow the link above), and also now to see if any damage has been done to the motor or idler.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 3:44 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In the Stickys above, the last Post and the one on Garrard "Autoslim", covers the issues of the auto functions. It is quite easy to sort this as it's a very common failure on these Garrard decks. As to the platter not turning, is it OK now it's cooled down? These motors rarely fail. If not remove the circlip around the stacking spindle and lift the platter off, check the rubber idler wheel's contact with both the stepped pulley and inside of the platter rim. if necessary clean sparingly with Alcohol (IPA).
Old 21st Jun 2017, 5:57 pm   #4
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys, I'll have a go at some of your suggestions tomorrow when I've a few hours to spare.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:24 pm   #5
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, I took the platter off today but there is no no movement from the idle wheel. The little spindle that engages the idler wheel is not spinning. Does this mean the motors failed.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:37 pm   #6
Clydeuk
Hexode

Can you turn the motor spindle by hand?

If it spins freely then you will need to investigate whether there is power going to the motor. It is possible that it has burnt out but you need to be sure it's not seized/has power going to it.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:55 pm   #7
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

It does turn with a little force. Should it be very easy to turn.

There is some heat coming from the spindle if that's important.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:23 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There should be a free movement of the spindle without force. You say the spindle is getting warm, is this with the motor under power?
Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:30 pm   #9
Clydeuk
Hexode

Repeat the test trying to spin it by hand but make sure the power is off. It should spin freely with no resistance.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:32 pm   #10
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

It takes quite a bit of force to shift it. It's definitely not moving freely.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:45 pm   #11
Clydeuk
Hexode

Sounds then like you need to strip down the motor and clean and relubricate. I can't remember if there's a sticky on here that explains what to do. It's not a difficult job but obviously make sure the unit is unplugged from the mains before you do anything.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 7:08 pm   #12
blackbird166
Retired Dormant Member

Ok I'll give it a go, do I just remove the 5 screws around the platter to lift the deck out. I have some light oil that's for lubricating clocks, would that be a suitable lubricant for this job.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 8:40 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I assume the 5 screws you mean are those that fix the motor board into the cabinet. Screw the 2 transit screws up (easier to work on), then remove the 5 screws and lift the whole motor board and deck out.