UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2017, 8:08 am   #1
ruudiboyz
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferranti record player valve fitting?

Just bought a Ferranti record player (Blue vinyl) It has Garrard deck, everything works fine except the sound can be temperamental, the valve is side mounted and has a wire harness hooked over i presume to keep it in, if i touch this when the sound is muffled it can cure it but if i move the unit it can go off again. There is a bit of a hum (does not get louder with volume increase) but once playing not noticeable. Could it be the valve not seating properly or need contacts or socket cleaning? if so what is best way? Thanks for any input.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 9:08 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ferranti record player valve fitting?

I have recently been working on a HMV2022 record player with a side mounted valve (ECL86 in this case), which, despite everything checking out OK, didn't function. IN the end I came to the conclusion that the valveholder was faulty, and am in the process of fitting a relacemnet B9A base (Thank you, Diabolical Artificer, for the new Valveholder), which should cure the trouble.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 10:06 am   #3
paulsherwin

It could well just be dirty valve pins.

The best way to clean the valve pins and socket is to use some Servisol contact cleaner, which you can buy from Maplins amongst other places. Unclip the retaining clip and remove the valve. Spray the pins and reinsert the valve while still wet. Waggle it around a bit. Reattach the clip and power up.

You can use WD40 instead of Servisol, but be very sparing with it as it tends to dry to a sticky film which attracts dust. You can also try dipping the pins in white spirit or turps substitute if that's all you have.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 10:16 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Remove the valve gently pushing the widest part of the spring retainer over the glass envelope. Remove the valve and spray the valve holder with "Servisol" (this will also clean the volume and tone controls as well) and clean each of the 9 valve pins carefully with fine emery cloth or a Stanley knife blade. The hum, if it still persists, is probably cureable but this may require further intervention, possibly a capacitor change.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 10:24 am   #5
ruudiboyz
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for advice i will give the cleaning a go see if i get lucky.
Closed Thread