UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2011, 4:08 pm   #1
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vortexion WVB Mk2 help/manual.

Vortexion WVB Mk 2 reel to reel recorder (1953). I have been trying to repair this machine, which is the 24th one to be made. I managed to get a circuit diagram from the net, but I need either to find the configuration of the valves, or better still, obtain a manual, which I don't think they ever printed one. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 8th Sep 2011, 5:48 pm   #2
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: Vortexion WVB Mk2 help/manual.

Hi and welcome to the forum !
I assume you have seen this schematic ?

http://www.ferrographworld.com/pdf/V...k2 circuit.pdf

If I understand correctly you're trying to work out the valve layout - presumably they were all missing ?

How far have you got with basic checks on the machine. Do you have power etc. Have you replaced any components, like HUNTS capacitors etc. ?

Any chance of a few pictures ?

Andy
Old 14th Sep 2011, 12:18 pm   #3
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andy, Thanks for reply. I have got the deck working and valves light up and get warm: i.e the GZ30, the 6BW6,. The two EF86's are a little suspect as is the 12AT7. I have no way of testing valves, only got a multimeter and a capacitance meter.When I
move the deck control to "play" I can hear a crackle from the speaker.I have ascertained that the 12AT7 takes mic input, the matching transformer seems ok
on the wiring diagram, the 6BW6 is nearest the rectifier(GZ30). Could the EL84 be suspect? I bought it privately for £12.00p. Any ideas Andy?
Yours truly
Slippers (Reg. T. Bailey) p.s I have all the valves, but am not confident of tests.
I am on holiday for a week and will be back by the 23/09/2011. Thanks again Andy.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 11:01 pm   #4
Station X

Reg.

I've merged your last two posts. As you are a new member your first few posts will have to be approved by a moderator before they appear on public view.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Sep 2011, 10:05 am   #5
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Reg
Due to the configuration used, it should possible to test the unit in sections.
Briefly,
Using position "2" should route a signal from the pickup input to the speaker. If this is successful it proves the 2nd EF86, the EL84 and the GZ30.
Similarly, using position "1" does the same for a signal to the mic. input, and if successful proves at least half of the 12AT7 - Likely as not the other half will be OK ( but not 100% - components could be adrift )
Using the "playback" position, you should hear increased noise as this adds two more stages of amplification. With the before/after switch in "after" and the playback volume advanced, you should hear plenty of white noise. If not, then either the first EF86 stage is faulty or the second half 12AT7 stage is faulty.
If there is white noise but no tape playback, then there may be a problem with the head, its wiring or the head lift transformer.
The 6BW6 is only used for bias/erase. If you switch to record, with "erase on" and switch the meter to "bias" this should indicate whether the 6BW6 stage is operating.

Taken logically, this should not be too tricky to sort..
If you need a hand, I could pop over as I'm not all that far from you.

Andy
Old 15th Sep 2011, 11:25 am   #6
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again Andy and thanks for your reply. I can see by the diagram, that the 12AT7 takes the mic and before/after recording.

As I think I said in my previous post, I am away for seven days , but when I get back I shall certainly take notes of your help, I feel determined to repair the recorder, even if it takes me a year!

Yours truly

slippers (Reg. Bailey)
Old 15th Sep 2011, 12:59 pm   #7
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers View Post
I feel determined to repair the recorder, even if it takes me a year!
It won't !!
A.
Old 25th Sep 2011, 1:17 pm   #8
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andy,
many thanks for your help re Vortexion WVB mk2. Ihave taken off the amp panel ( it's in a bad state) and replaced it with a better one. When I move anything on the panel, wires keep coming adrift and because the wires look like steel, rather than copper, the solder will not adhere, could it be that new "lead free" solder. I do hope you will keep in touch, as I find your comments & suggestions very helpful.
Yours truly
slippers (Reg. Bailey)
Old 25th Sep 2011, 1:35 pm   #9
Station X

If you've got lead free solder bin it and get some 60/40 stuff. There's no place for lead free when repairing vintage equipment.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Sep 2011, 5:45 pm   #10
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Reg
As Graham says, keep to 60/40 "old fashioned" solder for repairs to kit of this age.

The "steel" look to the wires to which you refer is probably just the tinned copper.
I too have had wires break off when one removes the front panel from the chassis on the amp. unit. A bit of switch cleaner to polish them up first and/or a dab of flux on the parts before soldering back helps the solder flow on these oxidised joints. Just re-heating and applying solder usually gives you a rather pasty "dry" joint.

If your machine has any black or brown "HUNTS" capacitors showing, it's expedient to change them on sight.
Also any electrolytics where "goo" is leaking out of them.

Sounds like you're making progress....

Andy
Old 28th Sep 2011, 6:46 pm   #11
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Vortexion WVB Mk2 help/manual.

Hi Andy, I have used switch cleaner on the dodgy wires and it worked! Thanks Andy. I have still only got the deck working and suspect I have got a couple of wires wrongly placed. There are quite a few Hunts capacitors ,which I shall change asap.When I switch it on, the set bias switch causes the pointer to suddenly swing to the right
I shall persevere and perhaps one day, who knows?
Yours truly
slippers (Reg. Bailey)

Last edited by slippers; 28th Sep 2011 at 6:49 pm. Reason: I made a few mistakes, my typing is not as it should be
Old 1st Oct 2011, 1:12 pm   #12
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,
I really do appreciate any help regarding my Vortexion WVB Mk2. I have got the deck working ok, but cannot get a thing out of the amp side. I have spent about £30.00 on valves, which I don't know whether or not they are in working order.
I have a voltmeter and capacitance meter, but that is all.Has anybody any ideas? If Andy ( Coulsdon) could get in touch again, I would ask him to have a look for me and of course, for a price, which goes without saying! I don't expect anything for nothing, I have run out of ideas!

Yours truly

slippers (Regt. Bailey)
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 5:49 pm   #13
slippers
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Graham,
I've been reading the rules and I think I should have entered my e-mail address.
I have included it for your records and if you don't need it ,you can always delete it:
e-mail: < reg.mollybailey@gmail.com>
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 6:18 pm   #14
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Reg
I will be in touch via PM/email and we can sort out your errant machine
The Mods will delete your email address as this is not generally permitted under forum rules !

Andy
Old 5th Oct 2011, 8:13 pm   #15
whyperion
Hexode

Finding this diagram on the net , http://www.listenersguide.org.uk/pdf...er-circuit.pdf.

What are the link sockets for - external tape decks input and output ?
Regards Ian
Closed Thread