UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2012, 8:13 pm   #1
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Eddystone EA12 Distorted SSB Audio.

Hi All,

I have noticed that the SSB audio is a bit distorted on my EA12. I have replaced all of the resistors in the product detector can and it did improve slightly.
Increasing the I.F. bandwidth does improve things but it makes the receiver too wide for listening to SSB signals. I have tried a new valve but it made no difference. I sometimes wonder whether the product detector is being driven too hard.

It is a superb receiver and, after an hour or so, it hardly drifts at all.

Thanks in advance,

Ian
Old 4th Nov 2012, 11:55 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Eddystone EA12 Distorted SSB Audio.

I think you are probably right about the overdrive or perhaps low input from the BFO. Does the quality improve as you reduce the RF or IF gain?
Old 4th Nov 2012, 11:59 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Octode

I wonder how you are adjusting the gain when listening to SSB?

If this has a similar product detector and gain structure to the 888A, then when receiving SSB the proper technique was to preset the audio gain about halfway up, then control the listening level with the RF or IF gain control with the AGC off. When using the RF / IF gain full up with the AGC turned on, the product detector will be overloaded.

HTH.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 12:54 pm   #4
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Andy, Those is precisely the settings used with an HRO but using the BFO to inject carrier.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 6:05 pm   #5
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ian,

Have you checked the alignment of the IF filters and their bandwidths at the different settings. I have found these not easy to setup. You could have too much inherent IF gain. Remember the coupling is adjustable mechanically check nothing is slipping or it has been "fiddled" with

Does the slot filter work as it should ?

Kind regards
Mike
Old 6th Nov 2012, 10:28 pm   #6
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your replies. I have not done any realignment apart from making the VFO track more accurately.
Reducing the IF or RF gain does help but the audio still has "rough edges" and this gets worse after the set has been on for some time.
The receiver does seem to be really sensitive, even on 10 Metres!
I find it noisier than my 888A, but I think it's down to the increased gain in the I.F. stages. The slot filter works very well but it is very sensitive to small adjustments.

Thanks again,

Ian
Old 6th Nov 2012, 11:59 pm   #7
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Ian,

If you are sure of the IF stages I would also check the AGC.

Does the S meter read accurately with a known signal level on the RF input.I am presuming you have a manual.

Mike
Old 7th Nov 2012, 10:29 am   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Could be worth checking that your BFO/CIO is giving enough output: a drifted-high anode resistor will reduce the amplitude of the carrier-injection by quite a bit (I had this on a CR100 many years ago).

G6Tanuki
Old 7th Nov 2012, 12:30 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Eddystones are very prone to many resistors going way out of spec.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 9:55 pm   #10
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
If you are sure of the IF stages I would also check the AGC.
Does the S meter read accurately with a known signal level on the RF input.I am presuming you have a manual.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your input.

I don't have access to a calibrated signal generator but the meter does seem to give, what I would consider to be, reasonably appropriate readings.
I would have thought that the radio would distort on strong AM signals if the AGC was at fault and this is not the case.
Old 8th Nov 2012, 1:20 am   #11
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hii Ian,

When I setup the filters on my EA12 I did it with a swept analyser.Apart from the If there is also a bandpass filter which tracks the VFO, it uses 2 Vinknor inductors , it would be worth checking those to make sure they are setup correctly.There is an IF output socket on the rear, this is a buffered output from the IF that can be a useful check point to try and see what is happening with a spectrum analyser.

I would also make sure that all "covers" are in place for checks, they do make a difference.

Mike
Old 7th Feb 2016, 3:33 pm   #12
Superhet Si
Pentode

Another thing to note on the IF alignment of these sets is then you peak the IF in the narrow selectivity, you may find a double hump in the wider settings. I aligned mine set to SSB and it seems to give the best of both worlds.
Old 7th Feb 2016, 9:56 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Remember that for SSB reception you need to drive these receivers differently to how you'd receive full-fat DSB-and-carrier AM.

You can't use AGC; rather - turn the RF Gain down, wind the AF Gain fully up, then gently advance the RF Gain and tune to resolve your desired signal.

If you just go ahead with the RF Gain set fully-up you'll overload the product-detector and never manage to receive anything sensible.
Closed Thread