UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2016, 11:26 am   #1
Lavaldb
Retired Dormant Member

Default Canadian Racal RA8772

Glad to read about the RA1772 here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69206
I've Just acquired the Canadian version, the RA8772. I find it low in sensitivity for now, but that is less troublesome than the fact that the tuning will only go down in frequency, not up.
Before opening up the beast, could anyone direct me to a possible cause ? Thanks

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Jun 2016 at 12:53 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 20th Jun 2016, 5:42 pm   #2
Jim - G4MEZ
Tetrode

Default Re: Canadian Racal RA8772

One of the bulbs in the tuning encoder has blown.. A very common fault in my experience back in the day...

I can't remember the exact bulb type except it's small. They can be accessed by looking at the back of the tuning encoder - It's been a long time...

The encoder is just an optical shutter wheel that turns with the tuning knob. Two bulbs shine through it to photocells behind...

G4MEZ
Old 20th Jun 2016, 6:00 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Canadian Racal RA8772

There are adjustments for the optical encoder and they are notorious for drifting. You'll need to adjust them periodically. One of the bulbs could also have blown.

David