UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2020, 3:00 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default WIMA [not Rifa] capacitors.

I've got these WIMA capacitors - 0.47uf 400VDC - which _look_ somewhat like the Rifas we know-and-hate.

I was planning to use them for things like screen-grid and cathode-decoupling in RF circuits where the maximum HT will be around 250V.

Should I risk it? Or should I throw them in the bin and fit nice new yellow MKT capacitors instead?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wima.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	219703  
Old 5th Nov 2020, 3:06 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: WIMA [not Rifa] capacitors.

I think these are mixed dielectric caps, if so I would bin them, unless of course anyone know different.
Duolit or something similar jogs my memory, I used them in the 1970’s.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 3:28 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I am inclined to bin them, on the basis that I've got loads of new Vishay MKT in stock and it doesn't make sense to fit possibly-suspect parts when known-good ones are available.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 3:33 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

I have found that the TFF or TFM (Tropyfol F or M) dielectric capacitors to be pretty good compared to the older dark brown lozenge shaped ones. I agree with Nuvistor that the Wima Duolit mixed dielectric capacitors are not very good these days.

Ron
Old 5th Nov 2020, 3:35 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

Those look like Wima Tropyfols, one of the early plastic film types and nearly as high in the esteem stakes as Mullard mustards. High-quality vintage Continental audio kit bristles with the things and, closer to home, both my 5-20 and AR88 have coped with them for nearly three decades.

If you don't like them, you could always stick 'em on eBay
Old 5th Nov 2020, 4:48 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

My fairly limited experience of these in Grundig tape recorders is that they are very good, also see:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=171868

David
Old 5th Nov 2020, 4:54 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Maybe I won't bin them after all; who knows - they may appreciate in value enough to buy me a small tropical island by 2050!
Old 5th Nov 2020, 5:31 pm   #8
ronbryan
Octode

Maybe a small Tropyfol island!

Ron
Old 5th Nov 2020, 5:36 pm   #9
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I have a lot of red cased Wima caps. Are they any good?
I got them from work when there was a clear-out of unused stock so they must be all of 30 years old by now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	219712  
Old 5th Nov 2020, 5:48 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

No experience of these but as they are MKS a Metalised Polyester (PET) I would expect that they (even though old) may well be OK, I would try checking some out for capacitance and ESR measurements.

David
Old 5th Nov 2020, 6:19 pm   #11
kalee20
Dekatron

I've got some, too. And right now, playing beside me, is a GEC BC5842 which has a couple in, replacing the original waxies, 32 years ago.

They're epoxy moulded, with unfilled resin. So occasionally I have seen cracks. But the capacitor element is polyester, which unlike the dreaded metallised paper Rifas, does not absorb moisture, swell, go leaky, and generally do undesirable things.

I'd do 'standard' measurements as David above advises - but I'd have no worries about using them.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 6:59 pm   #12
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Thanks.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 7:35 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
So occasionally I have seen cracks. But the capacitor element is polyester, which unlike the dreaded metallised paper Rifas, does not absorb moisture, swell, go leaky, and generally do undesirable things.
The colourful stripey Mullard C280 series polyesters are chronic shedders of their outer coating, often leaving the foil exposed, yet seem to soldier on. I've seen examples in hot, hard-working applications like monitor scan circuits where the crunchy coating is almost entirely missing but they still seem to be working away. There's a series of polycarbonate capacitors (forget the designation) that are completely uncoated yet do their job fine (apart from the standard supplier warning about exposed live foil and terminations) and are widely used in applications like audio filters that demand consistency and stability. It's pretty impressive just how good some.plastic dielectrics seem to be.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 8:02 pm   #14
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I would stick those 400V rated capacitors across say a 1000V hand cranked megger and see if there is any leakage at this pressure. If they survive this without any leakage then they should be ok in circuits rated at less than 400 V. Also check if their capacitance and ESR if known is within tolerance.

Christopher Capener
Old 5th Nov 2020, 10:28 pm   #15
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

I have met those WIMA Durolit capacitors frequently in German made sets. I suggest to replace them all. MKTs are okay as well as Tropyfoil.

Regards, Joe
Old 6th Nov 2020, 12:25 am   #16
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Have not heard of Durolit before, looking at some images of them they look very similar to the Tropyfol, luckily the Durolit ones say Durolit on them (at least on the images I looked at).

David
Closed Thread