UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2011, 5:51 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Teac 108 sync cassette deck info please

Hi,
Can someone tell me how the cassette drive axles are driven, as only the left one works on my machine, FF and RW is OK.
Thanks.
Wal
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 2:52 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Teac 108 sync cassette deck info please

I've just repaired one of these, and fitted new belts. The cassette deck is fiendishly complicated, but essentially there is a small secondary belt driven from the flywheel which drives a secondary pulley. This pulley connects to a rubber-tyred wheel which provides fast forward and fast rewind to the cassette spools by rim drive.

As far as I can tell, the take-up spool is driven in play/record mode from the tensioner/idler wheel that presses against the main flat belt between motor and flywheel.

I had to pay $15 for a service manual from the USA. Despite having exploded diagrams, it isn't a lot of help! Getting the machine back together again with everything in the right place was a nightmare so don't undertake major dismantling unless you absolutely have to!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 6:24 pm   #3
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Phil,

The trouble I have with this deck is that I cannot for some reason get it to play, FF/RW works OK, when play is pressed the left spindle turns but not the right, I see the rubber tyred wheel and the plastic wheel but cannot get them to work in play mode, can't see any other means of turning right spindle, can you help.
Wal

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 24th Aug 2011 at 12:29 pm. Reason: Innapropriate comment removed - see Forum Rule B6.
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 7:57 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi Wal,

you must have a peculiar fault with that Teac A-108 Sync... the cassette loads tape edge down; the tape path moves from left to right, hence the right-hand spool is the one which should be moving in 'play' mode, not the left. It's possible that swollen and/or perished rubber tyres are responsible.

All I can suggest is that you start stripping the machine down and have a good look inside. The lid, knobs and front panel all have to come off, which is easy enough, and the cassette tray window unclips - carefully! You will then see the motor, belts and flywheel and should be able to spot any belt problems straight away. The mechanism is only held into the case by 4 bolts, but you will have to disconnect the two long spring-loaded pull rods and cut most of the ties holding the wiring loom together to be able to release the deck. I ended up having to unsolder a dozen or more wires to be able to remove the mechanism in its entirety.

If you decide to proceed, take it slowly and make plenty of notes and sketches to identify where everything goes back. Repairing this deck made me swear to myself to stick to reel-to-reel machines in future, as cassette mechanisms of this type are just to small and fiddly for my eyesight and dexterity these days!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread