UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2011, 2:12 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Vintage Philips Unit Audio find

Hi all. I found this sad looking collection of items at the outdoor junk market near me this morning. £5 later they were in the car and on the way home for some tlc (along with a smart Ferguson Studio 15 music centre which the stall holder kindly gave me as she hadn't sold it the previous week and was going to take it to the tip)

I think the Philips equipment dates from 1969- I'm sure I have it in a brochure somewhere. It's very unusual to find all the components still together, although everything was spread out in boxes with lots of other junk so I had to retrieve the various bits.

I have previously owned a very similar Philips tuner/amp but have never seen one with the in-built cassette unit before. The receiver is a fairly upmarket job with three FM presets selected by pushbuttons very similar to those of contemporary TVs. I love the almost toy-like record deck! Luckily even that is complete with undamaged perspex cover and even the stylus guard in place.

First step will be a thorough clean for all the units, then we'll see how much of it (if any) works. No doubt the cassette belts will have long turned to treacle

You'll notice that rather irritatingly a single knob is missing from the tuner/amp. I searched everywhere but couldn't see it lying in any boxes or on the floor, so I've popped a wanted request under the appropriate heading in case there's one floating around someone's spares tray.

So there it is. An unusual project! Not the highest of fi by any means but a nice period piece from the late 60s.

Cheers
Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2131.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	54762   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2132.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	54763   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2133.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	54764   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2134.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	54765   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2136.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	54766  

Old 6th Aug 2011, 5:35 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Vintage Philips Unit Audio find

A nice example of the domestic "music centre" of the period.

If my memory serves correctly (by no means guaranteed) the cassette deck could accept the "Ski-slope" auto feed mechanism but I could be wrong.

I think you've done well for a fiver and although not hi-fi, as you say, it will sound pretty good.
Old 6th Aug 2011, 6:49 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Ah the dreaded ski slope that brings back some memories fun to watch , but a nightmare when it went wrong ,I don't think this will work the cassette mech has to drop to allow the cass to be pushed out and on its travels. Mick.
Old 6th Aug 2011, 7:26 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

Luckily the cassette is a standard single-play unit. I'm sure it still has the capacity to be a nightmare though! I notice that there's no switch to select 'tape' so I assume that switching it to 'play' overrides whatever other audio source is selected.

I have a soft spot for first generation cassette equipment and have some very early pre-recorded cassettes from the late 60s which still play and sound good, so I'll be enjoying Esther & Abi Ofarim in all their glory before long!!

Steve
Old 6th Aug 2011, 9:07 pm   #5
Colourstar
Octode

Well curiosity got the better of me and I tried out the record deck. The motor freed itself off, but not a lot else was happening. Taking off the turntable reveals two rubber idler wheels, both in good nick fortunately. The smaller one drives the rim, the larger one drives the auto mechanism; yep this is an automatic deck despite having no stacking spindle or size recognition ability... I guess if you select 33rpm it assumes a 12" disc and 45rpm assumes 7".

Looking inside the case revealed a baggy old elastic band standing in for the autochange drive belt, whilst on the bottom of the cabinet were no less than 4 small springs (purpose and location unknown), another dead elastic band and the gooey remains of what was presumably the original rubber drive belt. Folks, this could be fun....

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2142.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	54795   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2143.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	54796   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2144.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	54797  
Old 7th Aug 2011, 9:15 am   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Ah the dreaded ski slope that brings back some memories fun to watch , but a nightmare when it went wrong ,I don't think this will work the cassette mech has to drop to allow the cass to be pushed out and on its travels. Mick.
You are right Mick, this is a standard single play unit.

It was the shelf next to the aperture for the cassette which confused me. I remember the first ski slope I repaired, but that's a horror story for another thread.
Old 7th Aug 2011, 9:02 pm   #7
tri-comp
Heptode

Steve,

Your Radio/CC combo looks lika a 22RH882
If I'm right you would benefit from looking at:
http://www.oudio.nl/
Select 'Cassette players' (...yes, I know!)
Now click on the picture, lower, left.
Service-manual and general data is there.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 7th Aug 2011, 9:05 pm   #8
tri-comp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
You are right Mick, this is a standard single play unit.

It was the shelf next to the aperture for the cassette which confused me. I remember the first ski slope I repaired, but that's a horror story for another thread.

Ski-slope... Would that be N2408? The above link shows the N2408.
I was a 2nd. year apprentice when it was introduced and was not 'experienced' enough to be allowed near them. Fortunate for me

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 7th Aug 2011, 9:20 pm   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

That's the one!

However it is off topic for this post, which is just as well for the peace of mind of those of us who did battle with them.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 5:40 pm   #10
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-comp View Post
Steve,

Your Radio/CC combo looks lika a 22RH882
If I'm right you would benefit from looking at:
http://www.oudio.nl/
Select 'Cassette players' (...yes, I know!)
Now click on the picture, lower, left.
Service-manual and general data is there.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Great website! Thanks very much for the link.

Steve
Old 10th Aug 2011, 4:25 pm   #11
bobbyball
Octode

Hello, just seen your posting while perusing the threads and remembered about the the record deck - it is a single player but can detect the record size - the arm actually lowers and taps the side of a 10" or 12" record (hence the bit on the side of the arm), then lifts up and plays the record. For a 7" record it obviously doesn't find a 10" or 12" one and thus just "assumes" there is a 7" one so goes to that position. All this only happens of course if the belts/wheels are working: elastic bands rarely last long! There is a video somewhere on YouTube of this deck working...

Good Luck!
Closed Thread