UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2017, 2:58 am   #1
Helicalscan
Diode

Default Ferguson 3V53 VCR heat issue?

Hi Folks,

I have just acquired a Ferguson 3V53 VCR. It works well, gives a good sharp picture & hifi audio is top notch, however after playing full length movie the PSU heat sink with the 4 transistors bolted on is barely touchable, seems over hot to me.

Is this normal for this machine?

Any help, advice will be much appreciated, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	148214  
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 11:40 pm   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 3V53 VCR heat issue?

If the machine plays fine then it would probably be normal. I know that whenever I take video tapes out of a machine that have been playing a long time they are pretty warm.
These were made in the days when there was no fans in power supplies. So they will get hot.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 12:37 am   #3
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 3V53 VCR heat issue?

Yes I wouldn't worry too much about it, although make sure you're placing it on a hard surface (rather than carpet), as this will allow air to convect properly through the ventilation.

Also, given the age of the machine it might be worth finding sufficiently competent persons to give it the once-over (preventative maintenance): heads and tape path cleaned, power supply electrolytics checked (ideally replaced), re-application of any dried-out thermal grease/ mechanical grease, display filter cleaned etc etc.
Closed Thread