UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2016, 12:58 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Pye BB output circuit

Hi Gents, I have a BB on the bench at present and the official schematic.
This is the unit with PCL83's, BB/A & BBT/A

The amp has output transformer C/R circuits from each valve anode to HT (0.004u + 3K9).
The schematic shows these networks, of the same values, from each anode to its associated screen.

Your thoughts please.

Ed
Old 29th Apr 2016, 1:03 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Pye BB output circuit

They are to keep the amplifier stable by basically rolling off the out of band high frequencies, (above the audio band)
Old 29th Apr 2016, 8:34 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Peter, yes, that is understood, But, where do they connect, anode to screen, or anode to HT. I have a schematic showing one method and a factory wired and working chassis showing the other?

Ed
Old 29th Apr 2016, 8:51 pm   #4
peter_sol
Octode

I think the one with the anode to screen may be the ultra linear circuit and anode to HT, the non ultra linear circuit.
Wherever they are connected Physically in your amp will be correct for your circuit.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:42 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To my knowledge there were three different Black Box Valve circuits. As Peter says, one is of the ultra linear type in which the screen grids of the o/p valves are taken to taps on the o/p TX primary windings, whilst on the others they are connected to HT.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 10:24 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

As long as there is a suitably low AC impedance to 0V, wherever those R-C networks are connected ought to be fine.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 8:42 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, this is the UL circuit using PCL83's.
In the working amp the CR networks connect from HT to the respective valve anodes.
In the official company schematic they are shown connected from anode to screen. I believe this to be a drawing error. Anyone thoughts on this?

If they are anode to screen there is then the impedance of the screen to HT section of the op trans to consider.

Ed
Old 1st May 2016, 8:46 am   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Possibly they were physically connected Anode-Screen or at least drawn that way on the non UL version. The draughtsman creating the UL version drawing probably had a marked up print from the designer and didn't notice the relevant change (if indeed it had been marked!).

My memories of circuit draughtsmen are that they were much better at producing works of art than circuit diagrams that made sense, even to the bloke that designed them!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st May 2016, 11:40 am   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, no , no similar network in the EL42 versions of this amp (P-P but not UL)

This PCL83 version has a more complex feedback loop with a length of Nichrome wire (about 0.5R) in the circuit.

This set has been got at before and looks as if instability has been a previous problem.

Ed
Closed Thread