UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2016, 10:29 pm   #1
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Colour of paint for a Leak tuner

Hi folks, hope this is the right thread.
I have a Leak troughline3 with the grey metal case that needs a respray due to some corrosion and paint damage to get it looking nice again.
What colour is the closest match? It doesnt half look similar to Grey primer but I wonder if that would work with a top coat of a matt or satin lacquer?
If anybody knows the best solution i would be very grateful.

A.
Old 28th Apr 2016, 9:11 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Colour of paint for a Leak tuner

Take the case to a car spray paint supplier and they can get an exact match to the original.
Old 2nd May 2016, 5:02 pm   #3
bikerhifinut
Octode

Thanks for that, I could do that but I figure for the amount I'd need it would work out rather an expensive job as there's usually a minimum quantity that they'll mix?
If all else fails I'll try that.
I think I'll try spraying the grey primer trick first, as i will have to rub down the corroded/damaged area anyway, I'll need to put some primer on first. I have just remembered I have a small steel case that I primed a while back for a project and hasnt had a top coat on it. I'll check the colour match.

A.
Old 2nd May 2016, 5:29 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Haven't got any spray recently but they did a 400ml can for about £10 where I used to live.
Old 2nd May 2016, 6:20 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Much depends on how fussy you are to get an exact match. There are many firms who will mix any car colour under the sun from the Pantone range and international standards such as RAL. However, the drawback is that you need to give the car model and paint code, so you're stumped. If you aren’t too fussy and just want a paint that would be a reasonable match, I’ve found that Halford’s Ford Dove Grey is excellent match for Ekco chassis and the like. A 300ml aerosol is £6.99. It's excellent acrylic paint and is compatible with cellulose:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...ay-paint-300ml

However, if you want an exact match you could take the Leak case to selected Halfords stores where they'll mix paint from over 77,000 colours in store while you wait, as a touch up brush, an aerosol or in a tin. Hence, you'd simply need to look at their shade cards and select the colour of your choice. You'd need to enquire of Halfords which stores offer this service.

Most larger towns have firms who offer a similar service, where you can take the item along, and they have shade cards with a 15mm or so hole in them so you can place the card over the object to get an exact match.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 2nd May 2016, 9:10 pm   #6
bikerhifinut
Octode

Thats spot on David thanks.
I'm not OCD about exact colour matching so i'd be happy to get somewhere near. Its not a gloss finish either so I'd hope a semi matt version would be available.
A.
Closed Thread