UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2016, 8:09 am   #61
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Default Re: Do you listen to your Radios?

Sadly, we no longer listen to any of my old radios.
The only MW signal that was passable was Gold, but that has now ceased broadcasting on the frequency we used to get it on (some other "modern" station now using it)

The digital noise across LW, MW and SW is so horrendous here that it wipes out practically everything, and the only viable source of "radio" now is via the internet.

Ted.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 8:48 am   #62
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
The digital noise across LW, MW and SW is so horrendous here that it wipes out practically everything
Although not too bad during the day, noise in the evenings can be horrendous.
I usually use my pantry transmitter with a neat little FM/MP3 unit to listen to my own programmes and playlists stored on micro SD cards or USB sticks.

It is nice to listen to proper vintage programmes and music from the correct period for the set in use.
I have 'period' programming from the thirties to the seventies, so am never short of something to listen to.

The only time I listen to 'live' radio is R2 on FM and R4 on LW. there is nothing left worth listening to on MW round here any more

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130609.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	123694  
Old 30th Apr 2016, 11:49 am   #63
kalee20
Dekatron

I use mine quite a lot - mostly Classic FM via a pantry transmitter, but Radio Devon on MW and Radio 4 LW. My Vidor CN420a battery portable accompanied me on a trip away this week, it had a few hours use in the bunk-bed cabin with horse stabled just 100 feet away!
Old 30th Apr 2016, 11:49 am   #64
Hartley118
Nonode

While washing up this morning, my wife and I have just enjoyed hearing half a dozen newly acquired ex-charity-shop 78s played on one of my Deccalians.

Cheerful 1950s music - Salad Days, South Pacific, King & I - played on a cheerful 1952 record player that really suits 78s.

Very satisfying.

Martin
Old 30th Apr 2016, 12:32 pm   #65

Currently listening to my Hacker Hunter.

Old 30th Apr 2016, 4:02 pm   #66
MurphyNut
Heptode

I listen to my radios all the time, I rotate them so the ones that don't sound as good as they should are put on the "to be looked at" list.
I personally love to having them working and I get a lot of pleasure from that.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 4:30 pm   #67
Oldelectronics
Heptode

It's sad you can no longer get MW Ted. MW here on 945kHz (Gold) in the car is, touchwood, very good and is about 290/300 mtrs on my AC34 but I do live on a hill.

That's a really great idea Mark and I suppose you use it like the Aurora device the telly folks use? You can get a lot of the old shows of the internet," Round The Horne" etc. so as you say period listening on a period radio!
Old 30th Apr 2016, 5:03 pm   #68
stevehertz
Dekatron

Like many, I rotate my sets in my domestic setting. At the moment, my 'listener' is a Hacker Mayflower II that has been fully renovated and realigned. I'm listening to Radio Stoke on it as I write this. Not a vintage radio, but my vintage Sony STR 6800 hifi receiver is my current choice in my lounge, feeding a pair of enormous Leak 2075 monitor loudspeakers from around 1976. I also listen to a 1934 Cossor 375 (see pic on left) in my dining room. Being an AM set I overcome the lack of stations by feeding it with a pantry receiver signal coming from a modern Denon CD/DAB player. So yes, I use my radios every day and for long periods.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 5:25 pm   #69
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
That's a really great idea Mark and I suppose you use it like the Aurora device the telly folks use?
I use a media player via my Aurora to watch vintage programmes on my 405 line TV's, or I can hook it up to a freeview PVR or video recorder if desired.

I am old enough to remember when MW was crammed with good stations with none of the interference created by modern SMPS and the like.
Likewise just how good 405 telly was back in the day!

Mark
Old 30th Apr 2016, 10:54 pm   #70
Michael.N.
Pentode

I listen to the radio often. Having a workshop and working from home equates to hours of listening each day. Mainly radio 3, 4 and 5.
In terms of sets I'm radio poor. I have a Hacker Hunter, a Roberts R23 and a late Philips Philetta, which I just had to have. I paid far too much for the latter but the listening is pretty cheap!
Old 1st May 2016, 6:55 am   #71
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Me to Mark I used to have an Alba transistor radio on the passenger seat or more usually wedged in the door pocket listening to the top 20 show traveling down South on a Sunday evening!It always seemed fine.

Kev
Closed Thread