UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2006, 10:01 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default PC based standards conversion.

Split from this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8919

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol
Displays of system converters including Kat Manton's PC base experimental system. (Is this a world first?)..............
I have realised that this question is not well put. I was not asking if this is the first PC based 625/405 converter, which I am sure it is, but if it is the first PC based line standards converter of any sort?

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 8th May 2006 at 11:15 pm. Reason: Added split note
Old 8th May 2006, 10:17 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: TV at the NVCF

Quote:
I have realised that this question is not well put. I was not asking if this is the first PC based 625/405 converter, which I am sure it is, but if it is the first PC based line standards converter of any sort?
Standards conversion is implicitly happening whenever you play a DVD on a PC. Often both the line number and the frame rate are converted. The latter is often not done well leading to motion artefacts such as judder or smear.
Old 8th May 2006, 10:21 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
... if it is the first PC based line standards converter of any sort?
Would you count Gary Millard's AVItoWAV NBTV converter? This takes an AVI file (not as far as I know a live video signal) and creates an output that can drive a 30-line or 32-line TeleVisor.
Old 8th May 2006, 10:29 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
Would you count Gary Millard's AVItoWAV NBTV converter? This takes an AVI file (not as far as I know a live video signal) and creates an output that can drive a 30-line or 32-line TeleVisor.
It's no problem for a PC to produce 30 line pictures. Since 30 line video is at audio frequencies it's done via the sound card.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 8th May 2006 at 11:18 pm. Reason: Removed OT note
Old 8th May 2006, 10:43 pm   #5
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Standards conversion is implicitly happening whenever you play a DVD on a PC. Often both the line number and the frame rate are converted. The latter is often not done well leading to motion artefacts such as judder or smear.
Indeed, that's basically what I've exploited - all the software already exists to play DVDs, watch and record live TV etc on 525/NTSC, 625/PAL, high-definition widescreen sets, progessive-scan PC monitors running 800x600, 1024x768 etc at anything from 50Hz to over 100Hz frame-rate. You can do this easily enough with Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

What I've done (which is a "first" as far as I'm aware) is to take advantage of the configurability and flexibility of the X Window System on Linux to configure the monitor output to produce near correct 405-line video timings - the rest of the software just worked without any modification, it's still doing exactly what it was designed to do

Regards, Kat
Closed Thread