UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2017, 10:35 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Studer calibration?

Morning all. I have a question that may sound dumb but please bear with me.
I have a newly acquired M50 mixer which has on board tone generation at 40Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz at -10dB.
I have my Studer 807 set up with the input jumpers at -17 ~ +1dBu and the output jumpers at -17 ~ -1dBu.
The Studer internal levels and output levels have all been set with oscillator/calibration tape and millivolt meter.
The input, eq and bias are all entered via the counter keys and are adjusted for the variety of tape I’m using at any one time.
My question is this. Can I use the on board tones and VU meters to calibrate my Studer? I have in the past, kept a signal generator and millivolt meter in my listening room for use with the Studer. Be nice if I could return it them to the workshop!
Any opinions or advice would be very welcome.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 9:10 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Studer calibration?

You will need another meter to calibrate the Studer's VU meters but once they have been calibrated you don't need anything else for a routine calibration.

For a full line-up a few additional frequencies might be good - 15kHz and 100Hz are two commonly used frequencies in addition to the ones on your mixer.

Last edited by jamesperrett; 13th Oct 2017 at 9:10 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th Oct 2017, 10:39 pm   #3
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Re: Studer calibration?

Unfortunately my Studer doesn’t have any VU meters. Plus I would need -20dBu to set up the bias so I’m afraid it’s a non starter. Never mind. Best laid schemes, etc.