UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2017, 6:32 pm   #21
bobskie
Hexode

Default Re: Morphy Richards fan heater.

I have one of these lying in the shed, it certainly looks the same anyway. I will check later for the neon though I honestly couldn't say if it has one. It has been awaiting restoration for a very large number of years. If it has one I'll attach a picture.

Cameron
Old 16th Aug 2017, 8:05 pm   #22
bobskie
Hexode

It's not the same and doesn't have a neon part, same basic style though. Is yours more of a full circle than mine? Excuse the dust like I said it has been there for a very long time. Hopefully someone else can provide a picture of the neon part.

Cameron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8126.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	148018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8128.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	148019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8129.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	148020  
Old 18th Aug 2017, 10:05 am   #23
terrybull
Octode

The shape of mine looks identical to your photograph with the flat back. Same louvred panels etc. Other than the neon in the middle of the bottom edge I cannot see an external difference.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 6:09 pm   #24
bobskie
Hexode

Yours looked a bit rounder to me at first but looking again they are the same, it's interesting that mine doesn't have the neon part maybe a cheaper model. It does have the lightbulb inside if I remember correctly though.

Cameron
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 12:29 pm   #25
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Cameroon,
That looks very much like the HMV Cavendish and unfortunately in your 3rd picture it looks like the heat setting switches have been broken off?

Cheers
Old 25th Aug 2017, 4:49 pm   #26
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It is an HMV Cavendish and as Lee says, the switches are broken.
The later Morphy Richards version has a neon and different switch arrangements. I have both sorts.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 7:34 pm   #27
MurphyNut
Heptode

I have two of these in my Bakelite museum though mine are HMV's. I've rewired one and its my heating on cold days when I spend time looking at my bakelite and listening to....guess what! ......a Bakelite radio.
As the entire heater is made of Bakelite I've noticed on one my of the heaters two of the grill sections have cracks. so I wouldn't recommend them being on full heat for long periods of time.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 9:22 pm   #28
DianeDavies
Tetrode

Oh Boy has the dalek generated some interest as well as heat! I hope you manage to find a cover for the neon, Terrybull, it would just finish off. I'm glad all those years sitting and waiting didn't lead to it breaking down. I remember it was ferociously hot once it got going. Not sure about the gap by the switches, I don't remember anything coming off but it was used for at least 40 years. A lot can happen in that length of time! Good luck!
Diane
Old 21st Sep 2017, 8:08 am   #29
terrybull
Octode

Just noticed your reply Dianne. I really don't know what we would do without this now I have it. It is chilly here out in the sticks in the morning so it goes on for a while first thing. It's not worth lighting the log burner as it gets too hot later in the day when the weather warms and so not worth it. It certainly is efficient and warms my mid size room well quickly. Thank you for passing it on. It did generate a surprising amount of interest.
Closed Thread