UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:21 pm   #1
tubesrule
Hexode

Default Making 405 line NTSC

[Split from https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15601]
Jeff and I have been discusing the possibility of adding this to the low cost converter, and it does look possible with minimal changes, the biggest being the need for a larger fpga. I could develop the code under 525 NTSC so I could tst the output, and then switch to 405 NTSC.

This brings up the need for a spec on the 405 NTSC system. I know the subcarrier frequency, but not the specifics of the burst and such. I can use the modern NTSC specs and this would probably work, but it would be nice to know if there where differences.

Darryl

Last edited by Duke_Nukem; 21st Mar 2007 at 3:03 pm. Reason: Split thread
Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:34 pm   #2
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Pye 405 line colour TV

Darryl,

Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/archive/index.shtml

If you click on "List of BBC Monographs (numbers 1 to 80)" the link takes you to a list. Monographs 18 and 32 (colour TV tests) may give some clues, but I've not read them...

Ian
Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:37 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Darryl, I shall check in my copy of [405-line] Colour Television The N.T.S.C. System Principles & Practice by Carnt & Townsend. I will contact you by PM.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:47 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

On p109 of Carnt and Townsend there's a diagram that shows:

Sync width: 9us
Breezeway: 1.5us
Overall H blanking: 16.5us
Burst length: 9 +/-1 cycles of subcarrier
Burst amplitude: Same as sync amplitude

I haven't managed to find a spec showing on which lines the burst is blanked in the vertical interval. It just say that the burst is not transmitted during field sync pulses. I can't imagine this is too critical, just adapt the 525 NTSC rules.

Subcarrier frequency is 525/2 * fh = 2.6578125MHz

PS: Just found the luminance notch spec on p419. They recommend 6dB attenuation at subcarier with +/-200kHz width at the 3dB points. This was a suggestion only, not a firm spec, but it corresponds pretty well with subsquent industry practice in PAL and NTSC.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:55 pm   #5
tubesrule
Hexode

Thanks Ian, this is a wonderful resource I was not aware of! Publiction #18 "The BBC Colour Television Tests: An Appraisal of Results" is very informative from a user experience point of view, and #32 "A New Survey of the BBC Experimental Colour Transmissions" has the technical information I was looking for. On brief inspection, it discusses the cross-color notch filter that was employed in these tests. Jeff had mentioned this, and from this reading, it sounds like the benefit was only marginal, so if I implement this, I will make it an option so the user can decide to insert it or not.

Darryl
Old 20th Mar 2007, 4:58 pm   #6
tubesrule
Hexode

Thanks Jeff. I think I have enough info to start now. The first thing will be building a modified unit, so it may be a few days before I'm making sparks!

Darryl
Old 20th Mar 2007, 5:10 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The diagrams on p26 of BBC monograph #32 refer to a 5% lift on the Y signal. I have never properly understood the history of lift (aka setup) in the 405 system. 625 systems never used it while 525 systems have 7.5IRE lift excpet for the Japanese variant which has none.

The 405 system seems to have acquired and discarded lift at least once over the years. I reckon we can live without it.

The only reason I can see for having lift is to help the H flyback blanking of early sets which is either poor or non-existent. I don't beleive it really helped that much and it certainly wasted transmitter power and/or reduced signal to noise ratio.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 5:14 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've started a new thread about making 405 line NTSC signals. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...842#post107842
Old 20th Mar 2007, 5:36 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Making 405 line NTSC

Further to the posts mentioned above, I have sent scans of page 109 and appendix 1 of Carnt & Townsend to Darryl.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 5:56 pm   #10
tubesrule
Hexode

Thanks for starting up a new thread Jeff.

It looks like the burst was on every line in the vertical blanking area with the obvious exception of the vertical sync.

You mentioned lift (setup) as described in the spec. Is this something that should be included? I tend to agree that I see no benefit in this, and it does decrease dynamic range in the output.

Darryl
Old 20th Mar 2007, 6:37 pm   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Forget about lift (setup). It really isn't worth having. I don't know why NTSC (US version) persisted with it. If it had been abolished in the 1970s it wouldn't have caused any trouble.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 5:50 pm   #12
tubesrule
Hexode

I have finished the preliminary work on the color converter and am making great 525 NTSC color pictures. I have looked at the 405 NTSC output, and it looks fine on a monochrome television and on the scope, but I have no way to verify the color portion, although it should be correct since the 525 works, and it is only a chroma subcarrier frequency difference. The cross color filter per the BBC spec is working nicely, and can be switched on and off to compare the difference.

The last thing is deciding what to do with the default image flash. Since there is not enough memory to store a full resolution color image, I am debating wether to leave it as is, storing a full res monochrome image, or change it over to store a half res color image. If I change to half res color, it would be better to cut the horizontal resolution in half, but this is fairly complicated. I could just cut the vertical resolution in half, but this would not look as good.

Darryl
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:21 pm   #13
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Darryl is making great progress with the design. One snag is that it's not been possible to use the existing Xilinx programmable gate array 'cos it just ain't big enough. This means that we can't just reprogram existing units to do 405 NTSC. It's actually worse than that. The device in the existing design is a XC3S100E in VQ100 package. This is actually the smallest device in the Spartan 3E series. The data sheet says that the XC3S250E is also available in the VQ100 package but it's proving to be elusive. It's certainly not worth re-doing the entire PCB to use a different package so Darryl and I are hoping to find a few more of these almost mythical devices. He and I both have good relations with Xilinx distributors in our respective countries but if anyone knows something that we don't I'm sure Darryl would appreciate the information.
Old 26th Mar 2007, 1:13 pm   #14
tubesrule
Hexode

The 405 NTSC converter is finished. I have updated the manual to include this model, and have added it to the list of available converters on the website, although it will remain as a special order item until I can sort out the availability of the larger fpga required.

Although I have not been able to visually verify the output on an actual 405 NTSC set, I did verify it on a standard 525 NTSC set when programmed for it's timing. I further looked at the 405 output with a standard color bar input on a scope, and the frequency, phase and amplitude of the chroma appeared to be correct.

The unit has a selectable cross color filter that adds a notch in the luma channel at the chroma subcarrier frequency. The filter characteristics where designed to match the original BBC spec. It also has a selectable color/monochrome mode which allows it to act like a standard 405 monochrome converter if the chroma is not desired. This can be useful when using this converter on a B&W 405 set that does not have a chroma subcarrier trap resulting in interference in the picture.

Darryl
Old 28th Mar 2007, 8:57 am   #15
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Very clever . Now we need to see the working set ! how many exactly are there ? 1 1/2?
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:45 am   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Very clever . Now we need to see the working set ! (
And you will soon.

DFWB.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 11:31 am   #17
channel405
Tetrode

This is all great news!!

Now that colour 405 signals is about to be obtainable for the masses, the next question is a suitable receiver. As most of us won't have access to the very few original 405 colour sets, can any one recommend a suitable 625 set for conversion? I had in mind a Decca Bradford and by passing the IF stage. Would this be as simple as changing the xtal, removing the PAL delay line in the decoder and lowering line frequency? I know changing line frequency will have horrible effects on the convergence but other than having a dual standard colour set are there better solutions?
Old 31st Mar 2007, 7:32 pm   #18
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel405 View Post
This is all great news!!

I had in mind a Decca Bradford and by passing the IF stage. Would this be as simple as changing the xtal, removing the PAL delay line in the decoder and lowering line frequency? I know changing line frequency will have horrible effects on the convergence but other than having a dual standard colour set are there better solutions?
Not that simple I am afraid!
The easiest set to modify would be dual standard sets, 625 line stages do not like to run as slow as 10125 khz they produce enormous amount of EHT at those low frequencies so the simple way of doing this is a dual standard set. You then have a good time base and suitable IF strip.
It would be nice to just change the crystal and whip out the delay line, sadly no, although PAL is loosely based on NTSC there are large enough differences to warrant a redesigned decoder.
I have ordered a 405 line NTSC converter from darryl hock and I hope to track down the 405 line colour set that was in Kilmarnock Tech 30 + years ago and also convert a dual standard colour set in the near future but not a job for the faint hearted.
Trevor
Old 31st Mar 2007, 7:58 pm   #19
Panrock
Nonode

What about getting an old American colour set on Ebay, changing the crystal and modifying the line/output and frame timebase ?

Steve
Old 31st Mar 2007, 8:03 pm   #20
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Modifying the line output would be just as hard as on a 625 UK set. 525 line scan is 15734Hz.

A dual standard set is the way to go. I can see no showstopping problems in modifying a decoder. Remove the PAL switch and delay line. Get a subcarrier Xtal cut, retune the various tuned circuits and possibly lengthen the Y delay line. This last item is the hardest but it probably wouldn't be necessary. No chips in sets of this generation so you canget at everything. A Thorn 2000 with its pluggable decoder strikes me as ideal.
Closed Thread