UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2017, 2:57 pm   #1
Phil177
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony query

Hi can anyone tell me if a Sony FH15R is a rarity. I'm about to purchase one and I'm not sure of their value. There was one on Ebay that had seen better days and it went for £48.00, so I'm basing my valuation on that. Thanks Phil
Old 10th Aug 2017, 11:27 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Sony query

Hi,
They are not exactly rare, I have 3!! But it is rare to find one in good complete condition. If it comes with the correct speakers (APM-158) they will undoubtedly have rotten foam surrounds, luckily there is a seller on ebay in Russia who sells replacements for around £17 including shipping. The cassette deck will need a new belt, and so far 2 of mine have had faults with the radio section which I have been so far unable to cure. If you can find one with the 2 side brackets and the handle you are doing well! Even better is the remote, which never seems to be with them...

Apart from all that they are nice little stereo's. I paid £32 for one with a very rare CDP-17f CD player, £50 for one with it's speakers but no handle/remote/side brackets, and £38 for one with side brackets, but no speakers. All of them were quite dirty when they arrived, but after stripping down and washing the plastics they are in good condition.

There are quite a few nice systems in Sony's FH range, the FH-7 was the first, and I think it's the best one! There are plenty of those left, and they have slightly higher output power than the FH-15r. They also have the benefit of fabric surrounds on the speakers, which don't rot. The one I want to find is the FH-909, that one looks quite interesting, especially the drawer loading cassette deck!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 11th Aug 2017, 9:38 pm   #3
Phil177
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sony query

I paid £80.00 for a nice complete one with a working cassette and with the APM158 speakers and the remote control. I'll post some pictures when it arrives. Thanks for the information. Phil

Last edited by Phil177; 11th Aug 2017 at 9:51 pm.
Closed Thread