UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2017, 8:06 am   #1
makermaker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hitachi KST 3400E - help with wiring

Hello

I have just bought an old radio/cassette player - but the plug has been removed - how do I know which of the 2 wires is live and which is neutral so I can add a new plug (was going to use low 3a fuse)?... both wires look the same and there are no colours! (see pics attached)..

I have read previous postings saying to be careful before turning on - but this was sold as working (it has cable ties on the wiring so looks like it has been looked at previously inside maybe) - I think they just removed the plug for safety reasons - but I don't know how you work out how to put a new one on with this cabling - any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time any help you can offer.

ps I've attached pictures of radio/wiring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083[1].jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	148033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084[1].jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	148034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	148035  
Old 17th Aug 2017, 10:14 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Hitachi KST 3400E - help with wiring

You don't need to identify line and neutral with this sort of equipment, as the mains is fully isolated by a transformer, though it probably wouldn't meet modern safety standards. Just separate the two wires, then connect one to the N pin and the other to the fuseholder (and fit a 3A fuse as you suggest).

It does look as if it may have been got at internally, so be prepared for some interesting times ahead. It may also need new belts for the cassette deck if these haven't been changed recently.
Old 17th Aug 2017, 10:59 am   #3
makermaker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hitachi KST 3400E - help with wiring

Thank you so much for your help

Yes, am expecting a few things will need doing - but it is really just for fun - just planning on cleaning it up and hoping it works and then take it from there...

Thanks again.
Closed Thread