UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2014, 10:01 pm   #321
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

I bought items from Modern Radio in the late 1950's early 1960's, the shop as been there a long time.
Frank
Old 19th Nov 2014, 2:14 pm   #322
Vosper46
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Considering Bristol, there was a components and doodads shop on Cherry Lane when I was there in '73 and another place a bit further out on a street a bit south of the A38
Yes, Cherry lane radio was originally on the Horsefair roundabout near the bus station, in one of a couple of old houses later knocked down next to the priory - I think where the pub is now, but later they moved to cherry lane and were a great source of old electronic junk and more modern components. They closed sometime in the 1990s?

The other shop you may be thinking of is R.E. Pitt in Picton St,, run originally by an old stooped guy, and later by his son who was very tall and very clever, and that was a good source of junk too, plus hi-fi bits. If I recall correctly, this was the shop originally on the A38 itself, a bit further down (opposite the jctn with Ashley road?) though I also recall one a bit further up on the other side in my youth; I certainly remember blowing my pocket money on GE germanium point-contact transistors in the late 60s (2/6d each, expensive but cheaper than the Mullard OC71 at 10/-!)

Then there was Marshalls, a more modern national electronics component distributor (a bit like Maplin), which originally had a shop in Straights Parade Fishponds (my neck of the woods!) but moved into Town fairly soon.

But THE Mecca in Bristol for us youths fascinated by old radios and TVs was surely Helmore & Hunt in Newfoundland Street. They'd been in business from 1927 or so, and closed when the street was demolished to make way for the M32. Anyone remember it?
They had old TVs with circular screens piled high in one corner, loads of old radios, and a TV chassis with no case on the counter which they used to generate EHT to test TVs (no H&S then!).
I well remember people going in to buy replacement valves for their radios, and (I think) Mr. Hunt always saying "Are you sure it's the valve that's gone?" - his catchphrase.
Wonderful place - I went there often after school in the early 1970s. Wish I'd taken some pictures. But you can see them on the website:-
http://helmoreandhunt.com/history_1980.php?
Old 24th Feb 2015, 3:43 pm   #323
Welling
Retired Dormant Member

Does anybody remember the little corner shop opposite the Astor cinema in Bexleyheath that sold Army Surplus, tools and radio gear. There was an unmade road next to it with a hairdressers on the opposite corner. Does anybody remember the name of the shop?
Old 25th Feb 2015, 10:38 pm   #324
captainpugwash
Hexode

I was just skipping through this thread and saw a few names that brought a smile to my face and fond memories of Saturdays when we would travel from Darlington to Leeds to visit to the Mecca,or it seemed that way,of Government Surplus.

M and B Radio-an Aladdin's Cave of everything and usually very heavy.

Macs of Morley another one.

My fondest memory is that of Padgett's Radio Store at the Old Town Hall, Liversedge (as I remember)

Their adverts mentioned 19 sets for 30 shillings and they were tested too !! Having saved up all my pocket money we arrived and were met by a room full of 19 sets.

He must have had every 19 set ever made.

The first set he tried did not work and was just flung on the pile,another one on the test bench..yes and off we headed into short wave heaven.

I would guess these shops are all sadly long gone.

Happy memories

David
Old 25th Feb 2015, 10:58 pm   #325
Radio Wrangler

I did once go to the place in Picton street, Bristol. I couldn't remember the name of the place or the street name, but following the name on google Earth triggered memories.

Now I studied in Leeds and lived in Huddersfield...

M&B I knew well. I only once got to Padgetts when they were open. But now my brother lives a couple of hundred yards away. Padgetts is long-gone I'm sad to say.

David
Old 25th Feb 2015, 11:39 pm   #326
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

http://www.mb-radio.co.uk/
Old 26th Feb 2015, 12:43 am   #327
Radio Wrangler

Thanks,

I thought M&B's had gone, though that page seems to have only a little content behind it... certainly considering how much treasure was in their cave under Leeds station. All those years ago calling in when heading for the train home... I never thought I'd see something I'd designed parts of in their advertising banner. It's a strange feeling.

David
Old 26th Feb 2015, 6:50 am   #328
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
I did once go to the place in Picton street, Bristol. I couldn't remember the name of the place or the street name,
Long gone, I'm afraid. I walk past the boarded-up shop every day on my way to work..... And I can't remember the name either!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 26th Feb 2015, 11:47 am   #329
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I paid my first ever visit to Lincoln before Christmas. I was walking up the steep hill towards the cathedral when I realised that the name of the street I was on had a familiar ring - The Strait. And then I encountered the J Birkett emporium. Of course it was compulsory to go in and have a look around and Mr Birkett was there resting in an easy chair in front of the counter. There were plenty of visitors but we managed a brief chat about about the radio rally days of 40-plus years ago.
Old 26th Feb 2015, 7:40 pm   #330
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Was MB Radio based in White Horse Yard?
I seem to remember that address, as the first ever mail order I placed (with a little help, no doubt), was for a pair of ex-WD headphones from MB, at the age of five or so.
I can still remember the Bakelite / rubber smell of them!
Old 26th Feb 2015, 8:26 pm   #331
Radio Wrangler

M&B were in an railway arch actually under part of Leeds Station all through the 70s and 80s. The address was Bishopgate Street, near the junction with Neville street and almost opposite a pub called the Scarborough Hotel.

They had a second place not far away on the South side of the river... Bridge end? it had a different name which I can never remember

David
Old 26th Feb 2015, 8:49 pm   #332
captainpugwash
Hexode

Yes, J.Birkett, another name from the memory.

Never went to the shop but saw him at Radio Rallies around the country,our nearest big one at Pudsey ?

Just thinking,what would have been on the M and B website had it existed 40 years ago ?.....cor blimey.

David
Old 26th Feb 2015, 9:15 pm   #333
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

David, quite right, M&B stoclist is short. They have stuff you designed parts for? They also seem to have something named after you!
Les.
Old 26th Feb 2015, 11:08 pm   #334
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Dseymo1. M & B started in an alley way on lower Briggate, on the left below Warners Motorcycles. I bought a R109 from there. This must have been about 1967/68 as I had my Lambretta then. They moved onto the end of Meadow lane just before the corner onto the Leeds bridge. The building is still there. now a Takeaway.
Then onto Bishopgate and later still down onto Stourton Industrial area.
Brian was always friendly and please to see anyone, especially if you carried cash.
All the ex BBC audio equipment found its way there, Studer, Revox, EMI. you name it.
I spoke to John Birkett about 8 weeks ago on the phone, but he is not a well man.
But it is still worth visiting his shop for Antique radio equipment, test equipment and a natter.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 26th Feb 2015 at 11:09 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th Feb 2015, 12:14 am   #335
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
M & B started in an alley way on lower Briggate, on the left below Warners Motorcycles.
And I think that location had been used previously by another radio business who's name I forget but run by a guy called Jerry who, together with a guy called Trevor who had previously been the manager of the RSC shop in the arcade, went on to start Globe Scientific, which did prolific business selling unmarked transistors via ads in PW.

At one time or another, I had Saturday jobs with; Mac of Morley, Globe Scientific and M&B. I was very nearly killed while at Mac's which (behind the scenes) was more of a scrap metal business doing radio stuff as a sideline. Does anyone remember the very dour ex-copper who used to be behind the counter in Mac's shop?

I went to Padgett's only once, buying a 500uA moving coil meter which has the most perfect movement I've ever encountered (very responsive, but perfectly damped) and is in the GDO which sits besides me as I type.

Sadly, I've never been to Birketts

B
Old 27th Feb 2015, 10:14 pm   #336
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
They had a second place not far away on the South side of the river... Bridge end? it had a different name which I can never remember
The second place you're thinking of was I suspect 'Malvern TV' which usually had Keith, a skinny guy in his 50s with a limp. Very fond memeories of Brian, Keith and 'Tom'/Terry.
When I finally gave up fixing TVs the last few I had I took down to Keith and gave them to him he was just about still going then; sad to say must be thick end of 20 years ago now.
Old 27th Feb 2015, 10:32 pm   #337
Radio Wrangler

Yep that was the name! Malvern TV.

Ah, for a time machine!

David
Old 28th Feb 2015, 1:41 am   #338
wave solder
Hexode

Visiting Nottingham in the '80s one place I used to go was a shop on Shakespeare Street. (sadly I cannot remember the name of the shop).

Amongst all of the electronic components they sold the usual "Bargain Packs" of resistors and capacitors of which some were of quite obscure design may of which I still have.
They sold bargain packs of LED's which I also still have, the case colour is a very deep ruby red but the output is pitiful comparing them to today's devices.

I also still remember buying my CT160 tester from Anchor surplus in the Cattlemarket in the early 90's for £70.
Old 28th Feb 2015, 11:32 am   #339
Aaamusements
Pentode

In Peterborough there was an ancient looking bicycle shop at the big roundabout end of Cowgate in the City centre. Opposite the Draper's Arms (Wetherspoons) pub.

It always had some vintage wirelesses in the window. I imagine it probably still sold some spares as well but sadly I never went in.

It closed in the last few years, possibly due to death but hopefully just retirement. It may have been called Roberts?
Old 28th Feb 2015, 5:39 pm   #340
Wendymott
Octode

Ooopppsss... greymatter fade.........Sorry Guys, well it did start with an "M"....I remember the R109 valve heaters did not survive the trip home on my Lambretta though.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread