UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2008, 2:00 pm   #1
JAVAHOUSE
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cyrus repairs

Hi
Just could do with someone who can recommend a repairer for my Cyrus Amp in south Cheshire.
I'm figuring they sound good when they work OK - so why change. Or does everyone think I ought to up-date? Only had it 20-years!

Cheers

Rob
Old 4th Nov 2008, 7:59 pm   #2
vascoprat
Tetrode

Default Re: Cyrus repairs

Why don't you have a go yourself? I've just started doing repairs myself and they've turned out to be a lot easier than I imagined.
You can get plenty of help from this forum.
Have you got a circuit diagram?
Have you checked if any fuses have blown?
Does it do absolutely nothing?
What model is it exactly?
Give us a few more details please.
Vasco
Old 15th Nov 2008, 8:16 am   #3
JAVAHOUSE
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
It's a Cyrus 2. I got it when I was 21 - 20 years ago!

For months it's been getting worse, taking longer and longer to warm-up.
It's as though there's bad connections somewhere, lots of crackling and sound alternating loud and quiet.

Don't think I'd be up to doing a repair myself. I usually avoid electrics.

The shop say they'll send it back to Cyrus for a service - £145 fee. Seems steep for a service but if it fixes it I guess it's money well spend.

Of course, if taking the cover off, cleaning fuses & connections and vacuuming out would fix it, then I'd be a fool to send it off.

Opinions appreciated...

Cheers

Rob
Old 15th Nov 2008, 10:09 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Rob,

You first posted on October 29th and I've just approved your second post today, November 15th....that's a gap of over two weeks.

From what you say, it seems you've been attempting to use this Cyrus in the interim regardless. If the fault is something more than just dirty connections, you could well make matters seriously worse by continuing to use it as it appears you have been doing.

The problem could be a failing transformer or other components, or it could be the suggested bad/dirty connections. Make sure it's disconnected from the mains (that means plug removed from socket), remove cover and have a look for any signs of burning, transformers which appear to be dripping and/or smelling unpleasant, loose mechanical connections etc etc. The latter includes input/output jacks too.

If you can find the fault by this means, we may be able to guide you through a repair if you want to take that road and avoid the repairmans bill.
Old 15th Nov 2008, 10:18 am   #5
Michael Maurice

A problem I had recently with a cyrus 2 amplifier was that one of the 470µF/16V NP capacitors had failed. It might be worth replacing them, its a bit fiddly because its under a large ribbon cable.

Send me a PM with your email address, if you want a copy of the service manual.
Old 15th Nov 2008, 11:37 am   #6
PauldeH
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

I recently had the same repair/replace dilemma with my beloved old Audiolab 8000a amp. I managed to snap off a 1/4" headphone jack and get it jammed in the socket! No way to fix it myself as the socket was sealed (the residual bits of the plug would NOT come out) and a very specific type.

The hifi shop said Audiolab would fix and service it for about a third of the cost of a new one, and that the new ones are no better and lack a built in phono stage (the audiolab has a particularly good phono stage).

I was delighted with the result - it sounds beautiful again.

I'd say the same would apply to the Cyrus.

Paul
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 9:36 pm   #7
JAVAHOUSE
Retired Dormant Member

Not been using it for a while.
The Hi Fi shop in chester said they could send it back to Cyrus and it'd be a £145 charge for a service.
Was going to take it this morning but got side-tracked.

Does £145 sound reasonable?

Cheers

Rob
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 10:14 pm   #8
Dual Standard
Hexode

If the dealer will be sending the amp to Cyrus it may be cheaper to cut out the middle man.
There are contact details (email and phone number) for the Cyrus service department on the Cyrus Audio website.
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/content.asp?ContentID=14

Mike
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:02 am   #9
Beechwoods
Retired Dormant Member

£145 for a service, including transport costs sounds good value to me. If you do cut out the middle man you obviously have to sort out packaging, insurance and couriering yourself. I personally find that stuff a pain!
Old 24th Nov 2008, 4:14 pm   #10
JAVAHOUSE
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers for contact info
I've mailed them an enquiry
I'll post the response

Cheers

Rob
Closed Thread