UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2012, 5:55 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Angry Philips 341A and 353A- Fun, fun, fun!

I know some Philips products have a reputation for not being particularly service-friendly and these sets seem to be a case in point. I wondered if anyone else has had dealings with them (and is still sane?)

These radios have a dual tuning drive arrangement, with sort of semi-bowden cable arrangement for moving the tuning capacitor and a separate wire for moving the tuning pointer. The problem arises when having released the chassis, you may reasonably expect to carefully withdraw it from the case in the usual fashion. If you do that however, the tuning pointer is trapped on the outer side of the tuning scale and before you know what's happening there's a sickening twang as the wire is pinged off it's pulleys. Both the 353A and earlier 341A suffer from this- I felt slightly better when I found that the 341A I had acquired some while ago contained an aged envelope with it's tuning pointer, wire and spring, so clearly I'm not the first to fall for this. (The mains plug on the 341A also leaves something to be desired- see photo! )

So the question is, what is the correct way to remove the chassis from these sets without disaster? Luckily I have a second example of a 353A which is all intact, but even looking at this I can't see how the pointer can be manipulated clear of the scale to enable the chassis to be taken out.

Incidentally, just as I had sussed how to re-string the tuning pointer wire on the first 353A the string for the tuning capacitor drive decided to snap. Finally, just to add to ther fun, the brittle plastic on/off switch that sits piggy-back on the volume control broke loose.

Shall I just walk away quietly?

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2857.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	65785   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2849.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	65786  
Old 26th Apr 2012, 6:07 pm   #2
phasedout
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips 341A and 353A- Fun, fun, fun!

Hi Steve before you walk away please reverse the wires in that 13amp plug, it look wrong as red was live in the good old days...regards....Alan.
Old 26th Apr 2012, 6:34 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Oh dear, I have both of these sets in my roundtuit pile, I do hope an answer is forthcoming...

Mark
Old 26th Apr 2012, 6:50 pm   #4
tedzed1
Hexode

Thanks for letting me know Steve, I have not even attacked mine yet, are these the ones we got at the same time from the Golborne BVWS meeting?
Old 26th Apr 2012, 7:10 pm   #5
Colourstar
Octode

Don't worry Alan- I included the photo purely for interest (as well as proving that you should never assume a plug on an unknown appliance is wired correctly. This one looks like it's been like that from new- and with a 13A fuse to boot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzed1 View Post
Are these the ones we got at the same time from the Golborne BVWS meeting?
Hi Paul, yes those are the ones! Approach with caution...

Steve
Old 26th Apr 2012, 8:24 pm   #6
John_BS
Octode

There's a service manual out there somewhere.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	341A.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	65806  
Old 26th Apr 2012, 10:06 pm   #7
paulsherwin

It's a while since I did this, but as John's instructions state, the plastic tuning scale cover lifts away and it's then easy. I can't remember the exact procedure but I know it wasn't difficult - maybe it just pulls out.
Old 26th Apr 2012, 10:11 pm   #8
bobbyball
Octode

I remember a few years ago restringing one of these sets - it was a 353A. Even the main drum has no edges, meaning the cord can simply come off the edge unless suitably taut. I ended up sticking cardboard "edges" on the drum to stop the cord coming off and when I had finished I could take them off. Looking back it's incredible how I managed it without staying relatively sane but it's obviously possible if a dummy like me can do it!!! The scale is held in by spring clips and simply pulls out (vertically upwards).

Robert
Old 26th Apr 2012, 10:36 pm   #9
Colourstar
Octode

Ah, easy when you know how!

Many thanks one and all for the advice and especially to John for the service instructions.

Steve
Old 26th Apr 2012, 10:42 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

I have a 353A. The scale simply lifts out. Just move it forward enough to get your fingers behind and then gently ease it upwards. There is a slot in the front that allows the tuning pointer to pass through so the chassis and pointer can be removed easily.

It should be possible to carry out most repairs without removing the chassis.

Rich.
Old 7th May 2012, 1:02 pm   #11
maninashed
Rest in Peace

I acquired a 353a yesterday and couldn't wait to get it sorted. Rich is correct, the tuning scale just lifts up and out, very easy.
Mine was DOA, (dead on arrival) ! I replaced the usual caps and checked it over, and things seemed ok. Applied power....smoke. The heater wiring to the vhf tuner unit was overheatimg obvious a short. Inside the unit is very cramped and at first it was difficult to see what was shorting the heater chain. I eventually found that someone had had the EF80 out at some point and replaced it only to short the heater pin on V1 with the retaining spring. That sorted the short, but the receiver was still silent. I traced this to a duff EL84 absolutely no emission. A replacement brought life back to the set but its deaf on VHF. AM is very good with all stations very loud and clear. Back to the bench.....
Bill
Old 7th May 2012, 2:40 pm   #12
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Just an update, the problem with the vhf tuner unit was found to be that R36 22k(makers sheet) had come adrift from its connection at R12 2.2k on a small tag strip in the depths of the unit, hard to spot but now resoldered and everything working fine now, sounds excellent. Just cabinet refinishing now and its done !
Bill
Closed Thread