UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 20th Mar 2017, 9:33 pm   #1
scooter4114
Diode

Default Roberts R707 controls

Hi to everyone

I have recently purchased a roberts R707, as a spare or repair project, after giving it a bit of a clean up, and a few squirts of switch cleaner, the radio actually burst into life. I was amazed at the sound quality of this beast, the only problem I have now is that it is missing the tuner control knob, does anyone on this site know of where I can purchase these.
Thanks in anticipation

Jon
scooter4114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2017, 10:02 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R707 controls

You won't be able to purchase the original knobs, or any other parts, AFAIK, but I may have a spare Tuning Knob somewhere. As a new member you may not yet be able to send or receive PMs (Private Messages), but when you are able to, PM me your address. I'll then send you a tuning knob for the cost of postage. The 707, btw, uses Mullard Modules containing the 'dreaded' AF11x series transistors!
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2017, 5:17 pm   #3
scooter4114
Diode

Hi Livewire, thank you very much for the quick reply I will take you up on the offer when I am able to recieve PMs, I will be in touch soon hopefully. Can you explain the problem with the AF11x transistors, as I am new to this hobby.
Once again
Thanks
Old 21st Mar 2017, 8:10 pm   #4
AC/HL

Everyone can send and receive PMs, unless they disable them in their profile (User CP)
Old 21st Mar 2017, 8:58 pm   #5
scooter4114
Diode

Thanks for the guidance AC/HL never posted a question on a forum before, as you can tell I have jumped in at the deep end lol
Thanks
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:43 pm   #6
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Hi Jon

The problem with the AF11x series transistors is very well documented on here so a quick search will bring you up loads of info. Basically microscopic whiskers grow inward from the inner edge of the can which shorts the junctions to ground via the shield wire.

The Mullard modules in the R707 contain 3 AF11x transistors so it will need to be refurbished at some stage.

I can't help with a knob as I have about 4 R707's here all missing the same knob.

Good luck with the restoration.

Graham
Radiocruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 6:47 pm   #7
scooter4114
Diode

Hi Radiocruncher.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look at the relevant threads discussing the issue with AF11x transistors. Thanks for the heads up on the control knobs for the the R707, thankfully LIVEWIRE? has sent me some suitable replacements.

Cheers
John
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 10:16 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

John, I have been unable to reply to your last two PMs because, according to the system info, you have 'exceeded your quota', which means you will have to, as I understand it, delete some messages from your inbox, although i've always understood members were allowed to store a maximum of 500 messages. Perhaps Graham or one of the other Mods. can explain the position. ( I've now sent you an email with my contact details, so problem solved!)

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 23rd Mar 2017 at 10:23 pm.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:09 pm   #9
AC/HL

Although they are enabled by default now, I believe PMs are limited until a member has 5 posts approved (i.e. out of Moderation)
Old 28th Mar 2017, 7:53 pm   #10
scooter4114
Diode

Hi Livewire
Thanks for the heads up I have deleted some messages as my PM box was full, thanks for the replacement controls for the Roberts R707, hopefully you should receive some correspondance in the next couple of days. Thanks to everyone who commented on my post, your expertise has been a great help.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:34 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

PM sent, Scooter