UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2015, 4:31 am   #21
Harry40
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Some headphones - military?

Those throat mikes were also used by air crews, mainly because they could keep their hands on the controls whilst talking. They were ideal for noisy environment's.
Old 25th Jan 2015, 8:32 pm   #22
rovernut
Pentode

Hi

The throat mike is probably RAF as I don't recognise the connector as one being used by the Army, any chance of posting a picture of the connector

Richard
Old 26th Jan 2015, 8:19 am   #23
Stockden
Heptode

As others have said, the headset in the first post is Larkspur. That said, the connector isn't Larkspur or anything else military that I recognise. Given that the headset is marked "B.A.S. No 2199U" I wonder if they were made for the British Antarctic Survey.

If the throat mike later on in the thread is also ex-B.A.S. that might account for the non-military connector.

Hugh
Old 26th Jan 2015, 10:01 am   #24
Aaamusements
Pentode

That is an intriguing possibility. Difficult to prove though...
Old 11th Mar 2015, 3:24 pm   #25
Garden Gnome
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamusements View Post
A throat mike? Possibly for use in an armored vehicle, I'm told...
I remember these from the cadets at school, in the 1950s. We used them on the old WS 38 manpack (infantry) radios. However, I suspect ours were an earlier variant. I am sure they did not have a metal-clad connector. And wasn't another version used on the WS 88? Again, with a different connector.
Closed Thread