UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2012, 3:42 pm   #1
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Ever Ready Sky Emperor

Hi all,

Just bought this set from someone on a remote Scottish Island! It's in very good condition and apart from a bit of tarnish on the gold brights at each end of the carry handle, just a good clean up will do.

Taking the chassis out found loads of horrible Hunts mold seal capacitors which at slightest touch shed their outer casing. Took one or two of the intact ones out for test and they were a few KΩ on the AVO! Changed the lot for ceramic disc types rated at 1K Volts so I doubt if 90V will do any harm. Some of the Hunts were absolute devils to change due to the way things had been built over the top of them. I did manage to get them all in the end but it required me to grow an extra arm and seven fingers on each hand!

I built up a battery box out of thin plywood and a battery cover scan, using ten NIMH 9V batteries in series for the HT and two ordinary D cells, in parallel for LT.

The set is now working on the bench on all wavebands including FM, after a quick tune up on the signal generator. Running it for a while out of the case to check for any other faults but sounds nice with the push-pull output making quite a difference.

I believe that this set is quite rare? So I will not be parting with it for a good long while
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	62345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	62346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	62347   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	62348   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	62349  

Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:30 pm   #2
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Emperor

It is rare as you don't see many, this was the only valve portable from Ever Ready to have an FM band.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:40 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Congratulations on obtaining one of these rare sets.

Collecting VHF valve portables is something of an obsession of mine. There were only three British made sets in this niche category all of the others are from European manufacturers, most notably Akkord and Philips.

The three British sets were the; Vidor Vanguard, Ever Ready Sky Emperor and its BEREC (British Ever Ready Electrical Company) clone, the Commander. One of Philips VHF offerings is the; Colette LD562AB.

I have recently obtained a Sky Emperor myself which is cosmetically in excellent condition but still awaits me getting around to re-capping the chassis.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:40 pm   #4
SeanStevens
Octode

Looks like a quality item - even has a tone control!

SEAN
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:45 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

You lucky !!

These don't come up very often, least of all in that sort of condition. Been after one for years and very glad you've restored another one. The only other FM battery valve sets I know of are a Berec and a Vidor. I believe there were a few odd ones on the continent.

Enjoy!!
Rich.

Crossed with Robert. He's confirmed the other models.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:45 pm   #6
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

I also noticed it has a magic eye valve which you don't see on battery portables very often.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:49 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I believe there were a few odd ones on the continent.
Would you believe 30 to 40 sets. I have a dozen different European VHF valve portables in my collection at present all made during the 1950s, later than that and transistors replaced the battery valves.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:26 pm   #8
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Ever Ready Sky Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G0UHF View Post
I have recently obtained a Sky Emperor myself which is cosmetically in excellent condition but still awaits me getting around to re-capping the chassis.
Yes you will most definitely need to change those "horrible Hunts"! Mine were totally unfit for service. One or two were a to get out & replace but overall I am very well chuffed. The sound quality compares to a mains set!
Paul.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:30 pm   #9
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Nice set Kalee, I dont have one in my Ever Ready collection as yet. The sound may depend on quality of speaker used an it sounds like it's a quality speaker that this set uses.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 6:20 pm   #10
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Ever Ready Sky Emperor

Hi,
Yes its a 7 inch "Elac", 3Ω impedance. Quite a bit bigger than the small ones fitted in the attache case type sets?
Still playing away on the bench as I type this
May re case it tomorrow as I don't expect anything nasty to happen now.
Paul.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 6:50 pm   #11
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Does this model have push-pull output? Malc.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 7:38 pm   #12
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee99 View Post
Yes you will most definitely need to change those "horrible Hunts"!
When I did the restoration of my Berec Commander I was fortunate that I was able to keep most of the existing capacitors. It seems to be the case that either they all need replacing or they are largely OK, no doubt due to the set being a battery valve portable and the 'Hunts' leading a less stressful life than in a mains only table set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
Does this model have push-pull output?
Yes it does Malc. I've attached the output stage section of the circuit diagram taken from the Trader sheet. Valve V6=DAF96, V7 & V8=DL96.

Name:	Sky Emperor - Output Stage.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	62352

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 9th Feb 2012, 7:54 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
The only other FM battery valve sets I know of are a Berec and a Vidor. I believe there were a few odd ones on the continent.
...Crossed with Robert. He's confirmed the other models.
Not quite - he confirmed the other valve portables (I didn't know about the Philips - thanks Robert). However there is the Ever Ready Sky Monarch, which is a table cabinet model, not a portable, but it is battery operated, LW/MW/FM/Gram, push-pull DL96's, and DM70 tuning indicator.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 8:32 pm   #14
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G0UHF View Post
Would you believe 30 to 40 sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I didn't know about the Philips - thanks Robert
I've just checked on all the European VHF valve portable sets that I'm aware of and I would have been closer to the mark if I had said 'Would you believe 30 plus 40 sets' in my earlier post. The actual figure is closer to 70 - 80 sets!

These are the sets I'm aware of organised into the major manufacturers. Note most models were produced in consecutive years, so for example; there is an Akkord Offenbach model for 1953 and 1954, similarly a Grundig UKW Boy for 1954 and 1955.

Akkord
Offenbach, Pinguin, Pinguette, Transola

Grundig
UKW Boy, UKW Concert Boy, Teddy Boy, Party Boy

Lowe-Opta
Lissy, Lord

Metz
Babyphon, Babysuper (these are battery valve combined portable VHF radio and record players)

Philips
Annette, Babette, Colette, Georgette

Radione
R20, R25T

Schaub-Lorenz
Amigo, Camping, Camping II, Touring, Touring II, Weekend

Telefunken
Bajazzo

More information on all these sets on the radiomuseum.org website.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 9th Feb 2012 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Corrected RMorg link
Old 9th Feb 2012, 9:04 pm   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

Congratulations Kalee99, on this radio - yes I saw it advertised too - it's a set which I find a bit offputting owing to the plethora of switch contacts! And yes the components are several layers deep!

I'll bet it sounds good though. How about a photo, when it's back in its case, showing the DM70 lit up?

And how is it as a portable amplifier, using the 'Gram' input? Just think, you could use it as a portable MP3 docking station...
Old 9th Feb 2012, 11:25 pm   #16
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Ever Ready Sky Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I'll bet it sounds good though. How about a photo, when it's back in its case, showing the DM70 lit up?
Hi,
Yes will do final photos when I case it back up. The DM70 magic eye is far brighter than I expected and works fine. As to the gram input you are correct it is has got this but I do not own an MP3 player! The set has plenty of volume with the push pull output stage and 7 inch speaker so I would expect it would do well as an amplifier, say on a picnic with a wind up gramophone with a pick up head fitted? May try that in the Summer but not just now while we are all iced up!
The push button piano key switches required very little attention, just a quick squirt of cleaner and now all is well.
Capacitor changing was a but got through it in one afternoon.
Paul.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 5:26 pm   #17
Chindit
Tetrode

Hello Kalee99,

I'd just like to say your Sky Emperor looks great! I now have two of these sets and I really love them! The first one I acquired from a junk shop in York about 15 years ago (it worked fine as soon as I'd cleaned up the valve pins), the second was bought on the internet around 4 months ago and proved a little more problematic!

The HT was excessive due to leaks in THAT capacitor and also by way of a leak from an earlier stage. The net result was about 14v positive on one of the DL96 grids which hadn't done the bias resistors much good either! I had to change a pair, one of which had dropped to around 100 ohms. This was a real swine, as the earthy ends go to a earth rail that is located BELOW the wavechange switch.

Like you say, three VERY steady hands and even fingers are essential! Haven't had to change many of the Hunts - I keep trying to pluck up courage for more surgery! There is one particular moldseal cap that is located in a quarter inch gap between the chassis and I think V4 base AND there is a metal screen across the underside of the valve holder to contend with as well! Both sets have slightly intermittent wavechange switches. one on FM and one on MW. Hopefully some switch cleaner will put this right.

Both also had their Sky Emperor badges missing so it is nice to see what one actually looks like! Would it be possible to put a close up picture of it on here please with dimensions? My set runs of a B103 as well, although mine contains 10 PP3 Duracell Procell batteries which can be bought for £7.29 inc postage! I think both my sets need slight realignment; on one, the maximum signal strength on FM doesn't correspond with maximum indication on the DM70. Strangely, the 5uF electrolytic across the end of the ratio detector circuit is missing on this one and doesn't appear to have ever been present!

Anyway, glad you like the set - I keep meaning to try mine on Gram just to see what the output stage is like when fed with a pure signal.

Best wishes, Colin (not a million miles away in Kirk Merrington, County Durham).
Old 11th Feb 2012, 12:24 am   #18
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Hi all,
well its back in its case and looks and sounds wonderful
I am so pleased with the result given this is the first restoration I have attempted since escaping from hospital (Atrial Arrhythmia). Getting back to feeling like my old self. Plenty more sets to go at
Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	62404   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	62405   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	62406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	62407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	62408  

Old 11th Feb 2012, 12:39 am   #19
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chindit View Post
Both also had their Sky Emperor badges missing so it is nice to see what one actually looks like! Would it be possible to put a close up picture of it on here please with dimensions?
No Problem, Colin, for the badge. Mine was mutilated so I had to make one working from what was left of the original. So had to guesstimate size? Made mine slightly larger to cover the attempted previous removal attempts done by the mystery badge collector
Low resolution jpeg attached of my reproduction. PM me if you want the full sized file. Or visit me and see the set for real?

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Badge.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	62409  
Old 11th Feb 2012, 6:13 pm   #20
Chindit
Tetrode

Hello Paul,

The latest photos really show the set off to its best! I WAS bidding on this too, but obviously not with your conviction. You have made a great job of it. By the way, did you have to paint the gold handle fittings and if so, what type of paint did you use please? I have previously used Plasticote enamels on a Sky Casket, but haven't yet decided whether or not to treat the rather tatty gold plating on my two Emperors.

Thanks very much for the photo of the badge - until now I've never seen a set with its original badge! Battery portables (and battery operation of same) have always been my thing - you get used to the rather low quality of some of the ER sets (although in fairness to them and their designers it was probably never envisaged that they would still be around 50 to 60 years later), but the Emperor is a classy piece of equipment!

I really must try and put some photos of mine on here. The next objective is to find a Sky Monarch but I think I have more chance of going to the moon!

Best wishes,
Colin.
Closed Thread