UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2008, 8:58 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Have you ever thought "I wish I had invented that"

..........or perhaps you had and someone else came up with the same idea.
I sometimes think. "Why didn't I think of that........."

I'll start.

I wish I had invented the choc block/terminal block
Old 17th May 2008, 2:47 am   #2
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Have you ever thought "I wish I had invented that"

Yes, i invented the "pay as you go mobile phone"

Well.......not strictly true,

One night after a lovely meal and some of my favourite red i was discussing with my wife how i thought that the mobile networks had it all wrong.
To my mind by being contract only they were missing out on whole loads of customers who would not be able to get a contract phone ( similar to the "Meter" customers that we in the TV trade had) I suggested that a much better way to do it would be to have some sort of "PRE PAY" system in the phone so that you did not need a contract and could not end up with a big bill.

About one year later the first "pay as you go " phones came out.

I wish that i had told someone or patented the idea, as i may have now been as rich as the guy who invented the "Cats Eyes" in the roads

I also invented the WHEEL.........oh ok that was someone else

All the best,

Chris.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:03 pm   #3
HMV 1120
Hexode

Wish I invented cider. That would be something to take credit for ^^
Old 17th May 2008, 1:27 pm   #4
Colin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by repairman 1234 View Post
I wish that i had told someone or patented the idea, as i may have now been as rich as the guy who invented the "Cats Eyes" in the roads
Chris.
It is said that this chap had the idea after seeing a cat walking towards him along the road on a dark night ... if the cat had been walking away from him he'd have probably invented the pencil sharpener
Old 17th May 2008, 1:29 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

I designed the "home" PCB etching machine using a food container an aquarium heater and air pump and sent an outline of the idea to a well known electronics magazine in preparation to write an article on it. I never received a reply or acknowlegement but six months later they appeared in the shops and suppliers surprise!!, surprise!!
Old 17th May 2008, 1:37 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
... if the cat had been walking away from him he'd have probably invented the pencil sharpener
You've been listening to too much Humphrey Lyttelton
Old 17th May 2008, 3:40 pm   #7
Colin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
You've been listening to too much Humphrey Lyttelton
There's no such thing as 'too much Humph" ...
Old 17th May 2008, 5:35 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Getting back to our own missed opportunities... The idea which I had years before its time was the Remote Extender.

Even though my version was considerably lower tech. than the RF versions available nowadays - mine would have been hard-wired consisting simply of an IR detector, suitable amplification and an IR LED on the end of a long wire, I didn't have access to a source of components at the time (before I had access to this Internet thingy), and my disabled friend (who had inspired my idea in the first place) missed out on the opportunity to control the video recorder in his living room when he was installed in his bed. Unfortunately, he had died by the time the commercial products became available.
Old 17th May 2008, 6:13 pm   #9
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

How about this one..................
I think that something similar is now being made, but definately not at the time that i made it.
AN AUTODIAL TELEPHONE THAT USES ONLY TWO BUTTONS FOR THE ELDERLY AND INFIRM
.................................................. .................................................. ....
At the time we as a family were looking after my Grandmother. In order that she could call whoever was "on call" without needing to dial long mobile numbers or remember who was "on call" i made a phone that used a jack plug system (not unlike an old phone exchange) to select our pre installed numbers, and at the control end was a box with two large soft touch buttons on. Button 1 opened a line and Button 2 dialled the pre selected number, at the end of the call Button 1 would cancel the line.
This worked perfectly for a couple of years until sadly it was no longer needed. This was at the time the best option, as no commercial version was being made and i needed a way for my Grandmother to be always able to contact me or whoever else was taking care of her that day without delay such as text or pagers. I remember all the nurses and doctors who would come in and out thought that it was the best system that they had come across and all said that i should patent the idea.
I never did and i think that something along the same lines has now been made, so too late again
All the best,
Chris.
Old 17th May 2008, 7:03 pm   #10
radio edgar
Pentode

Many moons ago when I was a nipper I used to get fed up with my tapes snapping on my reel to reel recorder and I used to think why can`t someone invent a device to play music with no moving parts.
I wish I had had the foresite to invent the mp3 player. Oh well as my Dad used to say wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which fills up first!!!

Regards

Paul

Last edited by radio edgar; 17th May 2008 at 7:12 pm.
Old 17th May 2008, 9:20 pm   #11
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Even though my version was considerably lower tech. than the RF versions available nowadays - mine would have been hard-wired consisting simply of an IR detector, suitable amplification and an IR LED on the end of a long wire, I didn't have access to a source of components at the time (before I had access to this Internet thingy), and my disabled friend (who had inspired my idea in the first place) missed out on the opportunity to control the video recorder in his living room when he was installed in his bed. Unfortunately, he had died by the time the commercial products became available.
We did a similar thing at Bristol hospital radio. A DAT recorder was on a high shelf in the studio, and the DJ needed to operate it from his booth sometimes. We made a little holder for the remote to sit in. There was then a length of fire optic cable, some 20 ft in length) arranged to shine onto the DAT machine's infra red sensor.
When I was about 14, I came up with the idea of having a box which you could connect to your home phone, and ring your house to set the video,
( or switch on another device) using the callers telephone keypad. Of course I hadn't a clue how to make one!
Old 22nd May 2008, 1:36 am   #12
eldritch
Retired Dormant Member

i would have liked to have invented scotch locks.

i would have made a fortune from bodgers everywhere!

and i would have liked to have invented soldering irons

i would have made a fortune from those that don't bodge!
Old 22nd May 2008, 7:18 am   #13
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I invented the flexible mortgage, the type you can effectively use like a huge overdraft. I bought a house in 1994 and was working with my mortgage broker on the best way to get finance. I said to him: "Wouldn't it be great if you get a mortgage where you can dump your spare cash, thus reducing interest payments, and get it back again when you needed it". He told me it was a nice idea but didn't exist. By 1998 they were available, now they are common. Apparently they've been around in Australia for years but I didn't know that.

Of course they have been mis-sold. If you're the sort of person who always runs on his overdraft limit they are definitely the wrong sort of mortgage. But for somebody with cash sitting in a savings account it's far better used to offset the mortgage as you effectively get interest paid gross.
Closed Thread