UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2012, 9:58 pm   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Supply reel running brake on Philips EL3549

Having obtained a new belt (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=82736) and mounted it, I'm now faced with another problem: in play mode there is no brake whatsoever on the left hand reel, so when started, a loop tends to form, taking a while to sort itself out. On the underside of the left hand reel table, there is a felt ring, which looks like it's supposed to be part of a braking mechanism, but at least in my machine there's nothing on the chassis for it to mate with. Now, it could very well be that my machine has been 'got at' previously, although it doesn't look like anything has been done to it in any other respect.

I've had a look at the service manual where there's an exploded view of the mechanical parts. It doesn't look like anything is supposed to be there, but does anyone know for sure?

I've got another Philips machine of similar vintage (EL3547) which as I recall (in storage right now) does not have a brake on the left hand reel table in play mode, so perhaps it's just a design feature of that generation of machines.
Old 5th May 2012, 6:48 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Supply reel running brake on Philips EL3549

Sometimes the counter is operated from the left hand spool carrier and acts as a "kind of" brake, can't remember whether this is the case on these Philips models...

Robert
Old 6th May 2012, 10:16 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...a bit like the tension band on a video recorder, I suppose.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:38 am   #4
dmaillard
Tetrode

Hi,
Not sure if this helps, but I think the lower cork pad acts as a brake during play.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	66253   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	66254  
Old 7th May 2012, 5:50 am   #5
ricard
Octode

No, the lower pad is engaged in pause mode to stop the left hand reel completely.

In the WR00 version which is the one in the images above, the rewind belt goes around a pulley on the left hand reel table, and because of the friction in that mechanism works as a sort of brake at all times. On later versions (including mine) the belt goes around a separate pulley which is only engaged in rewind mode. I suspect one reason is to avoid the braking action which might have been too severe at the end of a reel, but I would still suspect there to be some braking action. The felt disc I mentioned at the start of this thread is at the very bottom of the reel table assembly.
Closed Thread