UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2007, 8:34 pm   #1
Mr. Tom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Radford STA15+Tannoy Little Reds?

Hi all!

Just wondering...

How would the Radford STA15 Stereo amp "mate" with the Tannoy LittleReds?

I know the amp "only" does 15 watts per side...so, are the monitor too "big" for the amp?
How would they sound?

Thanks alot,

Tom H.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 5:39 pm   #2
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radford STA15+Tannoy Little Reds?

Hi Tom, Its a little late now, but read your question. I suspect that in a noral size room (whatever that is) I mean not too big, sound should be beautiful. I am not familiar with the Little Reds, but have owned 12" Monitor Golds, and they could be quite loud with a ten Watt per channel amp. The STA15 should be fine. Best regards.
Old 18th Jan 2008, 1:37 am   #3
Cformat
Retired Dormant Member

I have a feeling that ‘Little Reds’ are quite modern, so they might need rather more power than the very efficient original Reds or Monitor Golds which were designed to work with around 15 Watts. I imagine you could find a happy buyer for your classic Radford amp, and then obtain something modern, solid state, and with more power. On the other hand why not give it a try?
Old 18th Jan 2008, 3:52 am   #4
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

I think the Little Reds are based on the Silver dual concentrc and still have a paper cone and probably pretty good sensitivity, also the Radford STA 15 produces far more than 15 Watts per channel, seem to remember somthing like 22 Watts RMS per channel. The audio quality of this amp is superb and in my view difficult to better. I prefer (only just) the STA 15 to the STA 25 which I own. Incidentally, the STA 25 delivers much more than 25 Watt per channel,something like 39.5W/channel ,see here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IAiQR8W...25/STA2503.jpg
Old 18th Jan 2008, 12:05 pm   #5
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

See on this Forum:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ighlight=sta25

It also says that the STA15 is 22 Watts per channel. Regards, Paul
Closed Thread